Chapter 58

"Just breathe with me. Get your breath back between the contractions." Ben commands calmly while I grip his hand so tightly he must be in agony. Thankfully, he doesn't show an ounce of pain, and keeps his expression neutral.

Throwing my head back against the pillow, I pant as I feel the sweat drip down my forehead. I've given up on looking to Sarah for support because apparently she should wait for Daniel in the corridor in case he can't find us. If I was in my right mind, I would find her fear of childbirth amusing... but, not today.

"He's not going to make it." I whine as I begin to feel another contraction overwhelm me completely like a tidal wave. I want to cry, but my body is too focused on our delivering our babies.

"Just a couple more pushes, and the first baby's head will be crowning. You're doing amazing, just try not to hold your breath for too long." The nurse, who I think said her name was Anna smiles encouragingly.

Gritting my teeth and clamping my eyes closed, I push with all the energy I have until the contraction begins to subside, and I am more alert to my surroundings. Feeling as though I'm in a dream I hear the door to the room fly open and crash loudly against the wall behind it. I open my eyes to see Daniel plough into the paediatrician standing closest to the door. His face is as red as a beetroot like he has been running for miles. He pats the doctor on the back quickly in apology before rushing to the bed. I watch him absorb each detail of the room as his eyes scan every inch. From the waiting doctors, to the midwives, to the machines that beep continually monitoring the babies, to Ben clutching my hand, to me... his eyes fill with tears as his stare studies my body. "I didn't miss it!" He mumbles, pushing his hair back. "Thank God!"

Ben releases my hand, allowing Daniel to take his place without pause. "I'll be right outside." He says softly, his tone full of relief.

"Thank you." Daniel says as his hand slips into mine. He kisses my forehead. "I'm so sorry, baby." He kisses me again.

"You're late." I manage to say before the next contraction dulls all other thoughts and senses.

"Push, push, push. That's it, Lizzie. I can see the top of the head. Come on. You can do it. You're brilliant!" Daniel says, his voice thick with emotion.

I slump back down onto the bed to catch my breath once it has passed.

"This next contraction is important, Lizzie. I need you to push with everything you have. The baby's head is about to crown, so keep on pushing all the way through the contraction." The nurse that I think is called Anna says happily.

Before I have chance to nod, I'm pushing again. I squeeze Daniel's hand as some prehistoric groan escapes my throat. Suddenly, I feel the burn of the baby's head pass through just as the contraction subsides.

"Lizzie, I can see the head. Holy shit." Daniel then kisses my hand that he is holding.

"Next contraction and this first baby is out. Everyone on standby." I don't even have to open my eyes to know that every doctor in the room is now poised to take action. The mood of the room has changed considerably. There is now a tangible edge to the room.

I grit my teeth and push. The most amazing sense of emotion ripples through me as our baby is born. I cry out with the rawest happiness and swell of pure love that I have ever felt in my life. The midwife places the baby immediately on my chest and I cradle it with every ounce of devotion. I gasp for breath in between my tears.

The baby let's out a small cry, but I can hear Daniel sobbing too. "We're parents." He gushes. "I love you."

"I love you too." I respond, but don't take my eyes from our perfect baby. The pink tone of its skin makes my heart burst. The baby has a small tight mass of dark curls on the top of its head. Our baby looks up at me with blue eyes as I gaze lovingly back.