Chapter 13

I sit heavily in the airplane seat waiting patiently for take off. I have tried and failed to keep the overwhelmed expression off my face for the fifteen minutes that we've been on here. The completely over the top luxury of the private jet the studio sent for Daniel makes me uneasy. Looking round at the glamorous air stewardess who, as per usual, is fawning all over Daniel, I am well aware I must look ridiculously out of place. I'm almost scared to touch my surroundings in case I damage anything.

The air hostess flutters her eyelashes in Daniel's direction, her enhanced pout being used in full force. Daniel's eyes flit to her briefly before he returns his attention to his phone. I'm right fucking here, I want to say sarcastically. However, instead I beam at her with my biggest, fakest smile. She returns my smile a little awkwardly at being caught out. I then have to fight a giggle when she makes a sharp exit.

Once we are alone, Daniel squeezes his eyes closed. I watch as his fingers pinch the bridge of his nose. I wish I could make him feel better about all of this, but Chris instructed him to accept the generous hospitality of the studio and not to decline their offer to fly him from London to New York for the party to be thrown in his honour. Chris very bluntly reminded him that he would be looking for the studio to assist him in making his dream movie... if he's successful in purchasing the rights. Therefore, she told him to stop being a pain in the ass and get on the fucking plane.

Reaching across the unnecessarily large leather chair, that I feel like a child sat in, I pull Daniel's fingers away from his face. I intertwine my fingers with his, so I can hold his hand. He smiles at me briefly before the plane takes off smoothly.

Once we are in the air, Daniel seems to relax a little, knowing we have a few hours of peace. "Come here." He murmurs, pulling me onto his lap.

I curl up on his lap and rest my head on his chest. Closing my eyes, I smile slightly as I hear the steady rhythm of his dependable heart.

"Which dress did you go for in the end for the party?" Daniel asks curiously.

I lean up to look at him, remembering with a frown the way Daniel had spoken to Robin. "The one shoulder, black number."

"Did I see that one?" He looks genuinely perplexed.

"Yeah, you did. But I think you were mid argument with Chris about this plane." I sigh loudly.

"It's fucking ridiculous though, isn't it? I mean there are only two of us!" He mutters in frustration.

I nod in agreement when I look back to count the other twenty eight empty seats. "They did say they were sending their best plane for you. Anyway, you took me to Lapland on a private plane."

"I know I did, but that was a six seater charter plane to fly three hours, not an enormous fucking thirty seater to fly across the Atlantic!"

"Well, we're on it now... so just relax." I plead with him.

He lifts my chin so he can kiss me softly. "Sorry, babe." He kisses my nose, and then my forehead. "The stupid thing is, before you, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at all this... now I'm like... what the hell?" He chuckles quietly.

"I'm so glad I'm such a positive influence on you, Mr Weston." I begin to slide off his lap, but he holds me firmly against him.

"You definitely are, Ms Cooper." Daniel speaks so softly against my temple, I'm almost unable to hear him.

"You OK?" I pull away slightly to study his features. He looks like the weight of the world is bearing down on him as his brow furrows deeply.

Daniel just shrugs, but then nods.