Chapter 48

Sitting in my familiar red chair in our bedroom, I can't keep my eyes off Daniel's overnight bag. It sits ready by the door, ensuring I cannot forget that Daniel is about to leave me to resume filming in Rome.

Despite the fact that Sarah and Ben are going to stay with me until I head back to London to finish my final week of work with Harrison, the house feels empty in readiness for his departure. Like the walls are aware of how sad I already feel. Although I've kept upbeat while we've chatted over lunch downstairs, I excused myself to sit alone for a few minutes to give myself a pep talk. Unfortunately, my little talk didn't go too well and now I'm in a worse mood than before.

When I hear footsteps on the stairs, I let out a shaky breath and try to snap out of my dark mood. "Come on Lizzie, you can do this." I whisper to try and convince myself that I'll be OK while Daniel is away. "It's not like you haven't done it before."

I expect to see Daniel, but Sarah pops her head around the door frame, her sleek bob framing her face. "Everything OK?" She asks, her voice full of concern when she looks at me. "What's up?"

"Nothing is up, except I'm just feeling a bit shit." I answer honestly, knowing there is no point in trying to lie to her.

"If you say the word, he won't leave." Sarah responds, knowing exactly what is wrong before she walks over to perch on the edge of our bed to face me.

"I know that. But, he needs to go and finish as much filming as he can. I'm just worried these babies will make an appearance when he's away." I look up to meet her eyes, noticing her raised eyebrow. "I'm being needy... just say it!"

"You are!" She agrees. "But you're thirty three weeks pregnant, I think you're allowed to be needy."

"I can't get Willow off my mind either-" My tone darkens with the mention of her.

"Enough of that shit!" She shouts while pointing aggressively at my belly. "You've spoken to her. She doesn't want your help. That's the end of it! She is not your responsibility... you don't even know her. You need to let it go, or you will go into labour while Daniel is away!"

"OK, OK." I hold my hand wearily up in defeat. "It's just the way she looked at me-" my voice wobbles, "is the way I looked at you when you were trying to help me. I'm so sorry I didn't listen, that I didn't tell you the truth, that I didn't let you help me get out." I feel the tears run down my cheeks, meandering along the contours of my skin, but I don't take my eyes off Sarah. I need her to understand how sorry I am for what I put her and everyone else through. Finally fully aware of their frustration and anger at my denial.

"That was a long time ago, hun. I'm not going to lie to you, it was awful. I thought about what he could be doing to you every day for the five years after uni that we were in London, away from you, and it turned my fucking stomach. I hated how you lied to everyone. I hated what he was doing to you. To be honest, what I knew was happening to you was part of the reason I never wanted to settle down. I just couldn't let myself be vulnerable in case he turned into someone like Ed. Because when he was with us, Ed was the perfect gentleman. But you know what? It made me so proud watching you get stronger every day after you moved to London, how when he finally tracked you down, you fought back and didn't just take it! But, most of all, seeing you fall in love with Daniel made me believe in love again... and that with the right person, it's OK to be vulnerable."

"Oh, Sarah." I sob, wiping my eyes repeatedly.

She laughs devilishly. "So, what I'm saying is... it's your fault I'm in a committed relationship now, especially after all that shit with Andy."

"Ben is perfect for you." I grin back at her.

"I know he is." She says with confidence. "I think he's going to propose soon!"