Chapter 57

I'm woken from my dreamless sleep by an intense ache that seems to grip my insides tightly like a vice. Even though I'm still caught somewhere between being asleep and fully awake, I know to breathe deeply until the feeling passes. "It's just braxton hicks." I whisper calmly to myself as the intense feeling disappears as quickly as it came.

Reaching for my phone I see that it is only six in the morning, so I've only been asleep for around an hour. I lie back to feel the babies kicking away and try to convince myself that it is just braxton hicks. However, the fact that I've been left with a deep ache in my lower back bothers me. Come on Lizzie, you know what this is! My internal voice tries to gently inform me, but with Daniel still hours from home, I silence the voice with a sharp cough. This can't happen now!

I decide to run a quick bath to relax. Slowly I get up, feeling a little unsteady on my feet for a while. Although I'm trying to pretend it's not the start of the early stages of labour, I'm still counting the minutes to see if another pain comes. While I reach down to turn on the hot water I feel another braxton hicks... it's a contraction, my inner voice now shouts. I grip the bath and take several deep breaths until I feel as though I can move again. I turn off the taps swiftly, realising I won't be relaxing anytime soon.

Moving as fast as I possibly can, I return to the bedroom to pick up my phone from the bedside table. Dialling Daniel's number, I squeeze my eyes shut and pray that he answers. I have a desperate need to hear his voice before his plane takes off to bring him home to me. Another contraction contorts my body tightly, each one feels more intense than the one before. I focus on my breathing as I faintly hear the phone still ringing out. "Shit!" I mutter once it has released me.

Just as I think it's going to go through to voicemail, I hear his soft and smooth voice. "Hey, I'm just on the plane now. I'll be home in around five hours, traffic depending."

I don't know where it comes from, but I burst into tears. I feel ridiculous, but I can't stop them.

"Lizzie, baby. He can't hurt you, I won't let him." Daniel reassures me again, thinking my call is about Ed.

"I don't give a crap about him. Daniel, I think I'm going into labour!" I speak quickly and a little aggressively, frustrated that he would even be thinking about Ed.

"Fucking hell. Are you sure?" He shrieks down the phone.

"I thought it was braxton hicks, but they're coming regularly. I'm going to call Doctor Isaac and make my way to the hospital now. Just get home-" another contraction cuts off my words.

"OK. OK. OK." He repeats more to himself than to me, like he is trying to get his thoughts in order. "Breathe slow and deep, baby." I listen to his voice as I grip the bed sheets. "Can we get this plane up into the air right now?" Daniel asks someone on the plane with him. I can't hear the answer. "My wife is in labour!" He snaps at whoever he is speaking to.

"I'm OK now, but I need you to be safe. Come home quickly, but don't do anything stupid." I speak softly, not wanting him to feel anymore desperate than he sounds right now.

"Is the case packed?" He asks simply, familiar with my obsessions to keep checking what is in there.

"Yes." I reply immediately, glancing towards it by the bedroom door. I'm thankful that I ignored the impulse to check it again last night. 

"We're about to take off. I'll be in the air around four hours. Shit, Lizzie. I can't believe this! I should have stayed fucking home!" He rants. "I'm so sorry!"

"Ben and Sarah are asleep. I'll phone Doctor Isaac now and I'll ask them to come with me until you get here." Even though I'm terrified of doing this without him, I manage to stay perfectly calm.