Chapter 46

"Look, Connor... I appreciate that I promised five solid weeks of filming, but I'm needed at home..." Daniel listens to whatever the director is saying, which unfortunately I can't hear from where I'm standing, eavesdropping in the kitchen. "Well, then so be it... if after all these years of working together you see fit to sue me for breach of contract now, then I guess I'll see you in Court." Daniel's tone is eerily calm, but it's clear he means what he's saying. Although I'm not in the same room as him while he is still holed up in his office, like he has been for most of the afternoon, I can tell that he is pacing while he talks. "I've already assured you that my filming commitments will be concluded by the time my children are born. But right now, I just need a few more days at home." He listens again. "Lizzie isn't able to fly now, the doctor has said it's too risky, so that's not an option."

There is then silence for a lengthy amount of time, and I wonder whether Connor has put the phone down on Daniel. I creep closer to his office door while I feel guilty for disrupting our well thought out plans before I go into labour.

Daniel then begins to speak, making me jump and return to where I was standing in the kitchen with a surprised squeak. "I understand, Connor I really do! Three days it is and then I'll be back. But, I'm not going to be in Italy consistently, I'm planning on flying back every other day for the three weeks that remain. I assure you, it won't interrupt with your schedule as I only plan on staying home a few hours before I fly back to location." Daniel laughs at whatever Connor has said, and I feel a surge of relief that they have reached an agreement, as his tone is much more lighthearted. "I know, I'm insane and I'll be knackered, but I'll feel better for doing it. I'll see you in three days."

Hearing Daniel groan loudly from his office, I wait patiently for him to return to our kitchen. When he finally enters the room, his face shows a forced smile in the hope of fooling me that everything is fine. "Hey babe, how you feeling?" He kisses my forehead.

"OK, just tired." I answer honestly. "Babies are moving lots, and the monitor said my blood pressure was fine." I want to make sure he has one less thing to worry about.

His smile becomes more genuine. "As long as you're OK, then everything is good." This time he kisses my lips gently. "Do you need anything? You should be resting."

"I can't just lie in bed, it's so boring." I retort a little too dramatically after spending the first day back home in bed.

"Lizzie, you need to be sensible. You met with your therapist this morning and then Detective Phillips is here this evening... you should be in bed." He scolds me gently before taking my hand and leading me through to our living room. He sits on the sofa, holding his one arm up and then placing a pillow on his lap. "Come and lie down."

Without another word, I slowly get myself comfortable on my side as the babies feel as though they are crushing my lungs if I lie on my back. Daniel runs his hands though my hair just the way he knows I like it, and I practically purr like a kitten as I relax. "So, how'd the conversation go with Connor? It sounded pretty intense."

"Nothing for you to worry about. I'm handling it." Daniel replies with an edge to his voice.

"I'm not going to shatter like glass, Daniel." I attempt to sit up, but he places his hands on my shoulders to guide me back down. I don't have the energy to fight, so I give up.

"I know, but-"

I cut him off. "No buts, God damn it... if you keep things from me, I just worry more! You've already missed three days of filming."

"Connor has been a total prick the last three days, threatened legal action." Daniel laughs without any humour. "Basically told him to carry on because Chris has already had the contract checked by our Solicitor... and I haven't breached any terms... yet! I've explained that I will complete my commitments within the timescale, so he can go fuck himself."