Part III

Ext. A small cafe around noon. Toni, Alex, Danielle and Jayda are sitting discussing the events that took place at the party.

ALEX: Can you believe the nerve of that girl?

JAYDA: She was definitely bold. Sashaying in there like she owns the place.

TONI: She was stupid, period. She has caught the wrath of these hands enough times to know she should always stay one hundred feet away from me.

DANIELLE: Well, obviously she's the type to take a whooping and keep coming back.

JAYDA: That was a nice dress she had on though.

ALEX: Girl, that was a piece of towel cut up and stitched together.

(They laugh)

JAYDA: Either way, she's bad and she knows it.

TONI: Well if she's so bad why can't she find her own man? She's always messing with someone's boyfriend or husband.

JAYDA: I said she was bad, I didn't say she was a saint.

DANIELLE: So she's a bad ho?

JAYDA: Exactly!

(They laugh. Toni changes the conversation)

TONI: On a new note, Ms. Jayda, how are things with the basketball player?

(Jayda rolls her eyes)

JAYDA: Ugh! I'm so done with him. That man had the nerve to tell me I'm too demanding. Me!

GROUP: Nahhhh, not you.

(Laughs)

JAYDA: It's not that I'm demanding, I just know what I want and when I want it. And if they can't get with the program then they can leave.

DANIELLE: So you're going to be the one with like thirty-seven cats keeping your company in your old age, huh?

ALEX: Yeah, Jayda, you have to learn how to compromise.

JAYDA: Well, we all can't find Mr. Perfect like Toni did.

TONI: Girl, bye! That man is far from perfect.

DANIELLE: What are you screaming? That man adores you. You don't know how lucky you are. I'd trade with you in a heart beat. Take Pete.

TONI: What about Pete?

DANIELLE: No, I meant take him. Ride off into the wind with him, kill him and burry his body, just take him.

(They laugh)

Seriously guys. Pete and I aren't doing well. We haven't had sex in two years.

ALEX: Well you know what they say, if he isn't getting it from you—

DANIELLE: I'm well aware of what they say. Thank you.

(Alex mouths 'You're welcome')

TONI: Forget what they say, why are you still married to him?

DANIELLE: Because, unlike you and Rashad, we have kids—

(Gloomy silence)

I'm sorry, Toni. I didn't mean to say that. I was just trying to say—

TONI: No, it's okay. I guess relationships are a little different when your child is alive.

DANIELLE: Toni, I didn't mean it like that.

(Waves her off)

TONI: I know. Don't worry about it. That was a long time ago.

ALEX: Damn, Danny! Why you had to bring that up? You know how hard it was for Toni after she lost the baby!

TONI: Ladies, it's fine. Let's just stop talking about it. Moving on, Danny, you haven't gotten any in two years?!

(Danielle laughs nervously)

DANIELLE: You don't have to yell it, but yes.

JAYDA: So then you're not technically married.

ALEX: 'Cause I would've been hopped on something else a long time ago.

TONI: Girl's got a point, Danny. Can't call yourself married if you ain't getting any.

DANIELLE: Yeah, I guess you're right. I just never saw us getting a divorce, you know?

JAYDA: That's why I'm not ever getting married. These men don't know what they want. One day they love you—

ALEX: The next day they changed their mind and they're not ready for a real relationship. Just pathetic.

DANIELLE: True. I just thought he'd be different. I foolishly thought withholding sex would've been a punishment for him and it would've made him act right.

TONI: Girl, you should know by now these men ain't shit! Withholding sex only sends them to Isis club where they could pay for sex.

JAYDA: And what about you, missy?

TONI: What about me?

JAYDA: Don't think we didn't notice the awkward exchange between you and Rashad at the party... When was the last time y'all knocked them boots?

TONI: My love life is not up for discussion. We're talking about Danny...

ALEX: Nice way of deflecting the question.

TONI: Well it certainly hasn't been two years. I couldn't deal if it was that long.

DANIELLE: So you think I'm a fool for staying so long?

GROUP: Yes!

ALEX: Look, he's clearly moved on with his life and so should you.

DANIELLE: I know it's the right thing to do, but honestly, are there any truly good men left? With all the battered and abused females that come in, The Center, everyday, I'm afraid I might end up with one of those men who take pleasure in beating females.

JAYDA: You shouldn't be scared to find something new, Danny.

ALEX: Yeah, you shouldn't let that stop you from finding something better. Right, Toni?

(Looks over at Toni who is holding her right wrist with a pained look on her face)

Toni?

(Toni is lost in her thoughts. She does not hear Alex. Jayda, who is sitting the closest to Toni takes notice of her rubbing her wrists and grabs it. Jayda pushes Toni's sleeve up, revealing a bruised wrist)

JAYDA: Toni, what happened to you?!

TONI:

(Quickly lowering her sleeve)

Nothing- I- it's nothing.

ALEX: That doesn't look like nothing, T.

DANIELLE: That's the kind bruise you get from someone grabbing you too tight. I've seen it too many times with the women who comes into The Center.

TONI: This is nothing-

JAYDA: Is- is Rashad abusing you?

(A little too quickly)

TONI: What? No! No way.

ALEX: T, you can tell us. We can get you help, sweetie-

(Toni grabs her purse and stands up)

TONI: Ladies, don't be ridiculous. Rashad is not abusing me. He grabbed me a little too tight during sex and my wrist changed colors.

ALEX: But-

TONI: Relax, I'm fine. I have a two o'clock appointment at the spa, so I have to go now.

(Blows them a kiss. She leaves and the ladies are left with a confused look on their faces.)

END SCENE