Part VI

Int. Rashad's and Toni's house, the same day. The house is dark, except for the laundry room is dark)

(Walks over to the couch and drops down. Hands covering his face so his voice is muffled)

RASHAD: Rosa!

(Enters Rosa, coming from the laundry room)

ROSA: Yes, Mr. Smith?

RASHAD: Do you know where my wife is?

ROSA: No, sir. When I came earlier she said she was going to go to the store quickly, but that was at 11 am. I would've left already but I didn't know if she had a key to get back in.

RASHAD: Thank you, Rosa. You can leave now.

ROSA: Are you sure? I can make you a quick meal. It's no problem.

(Getting up to give Rosa a kiss on the cheek)

RASHAD: I'm okay. Go home to your kids. There's some leftovers in the fridge.

ROSA: Okay, Mr. Smith. I'll see you tomorrow then.

(She leaves and Rashad goes to the kitchen to make himself a plate. He grabs a bottle of tequila and starts taking shots back to back. He walks over to the island in the middle of the kitchen and takes a seat. He looks at his phone and then tosses it across the counter. He takes another shot. A few minutes pass and the microwave timer is going off but he doesn't notice, he makes no attempt to move. An hour goes by and he's still sitting drinking. The front door open)

TONI: Why is it so dark in here?

(Gets up from the counter with a beer bottle. He sways a little. He leans on the door frame that connects the living room and the kitchen. His words slurring)

RASHAD: Maybe if you were home like I expected you to be, the house wouldn't be so damn dark.

(Holding her chest)

TONI: Don't scare me like that.

(Comes into the house, closing the door behind her)

Why are you in the dark?

RASHAD: Well, as you can see my faithful wife, the kitchen is not dark. The microwave has been keeping the room illuminated for me.

TONI: ... Okay...

RASHAD: Where were you, Toni?

TONI: Out. Is that a crime?

RASHAD: Out.

(Takes a sip of his beer)

Where have you been, T? And don't tell me "out".

TONI: Rashad, please don't start this.

(He eases off the door frame and starts walking towards her)

RASHAD: Are you kidding me? When I left for work this morning, you were gone. I came home a quarter to eight and you still weren't here.

(Standing face to face with her)

Where the hell were you?!

(Toni slaps him hard)

TONI: Who the hell do you think you are?

(He laughs maniacally)

TONI: Don't you ever—

RASHAD: Don't I ever what?

(She raises her hand to slap him again but he grabs it)

Mmm? Tell me what not to do.

(He grabs her other arm)

TONI: Let go of me, Rashad!

Rashad: You've seem to have forgotten who the fuck I am! I'm the head of this household!

TONI: You're drunk? Let me go Rashad!

RASHAD: When was the last time you and I had sex? Were you out fucking someone else?! Mmm?

(Toni knees him in the balls. He falls to the floor)

TONI: I don't know what you've been smoking but don't lose your careers and freedom trying to be 'the man'. Do not ever put your hand on me again. I'll go straight to the cops and tell them about what happened on November 4, 2008.

(Grunts)

RASHAD: You promised that you would never-

TONI: Rashad. Let's not talk about promises. You've broken enough of yours for the both of us. Matter of fact let's not even talk at all.

RASHAD: Toni—

TONI: I'll throw down a pillow and blanket for you. You're not sleeping in my bedroom tonight.

(She leaves him laying on the floor holding his balls. Rage in his eyes. The microwave time still going off)

END SCENE