Part IV

Int. Rashad's office. Don and Rashad are briefing Mrs. Silvia Spencer on her case against her husband.

RASHAD: Simon is not going to play fair.

SILVIA: Mr. Smith, I'm well aware that my husband has no idea what that word means...you just can't let him win. He's so vile! I never thought he would hurt me this badly.

(She points to her black eye as tears begins to fall. Don gets up from the chair to grab a tissue and sits next to Mrs. Spencer on the couch)

DON: It's going to be okay, Mrs. Spencer.

(He hands her the tissue and squeezes her free hand)

We're going to make sure that he doesn't get away with this.

RASHAD: And we'll make sure that he pays you for all of your pain and suffering too.

SILVIA: Oh, thank you.

(She sniffle)

I just can't believe I stayed with him for so long, maybe if I'd left—

RASHAD: Don't start blaming yourself for his mistakes.

SILVIA: But there were so many signs that I should have left. Many opportunities for me to leave, but... I just couldn't walk away.

DON: Mrs. Spencer-

SILVIA: Silvia. Please, call me Silvia.

(Hesitantly)

DON: O-Okay, Silvia, no one is judging you for staying with Simon for as long as you did. It takes courage to walk away. And you've gathered enough to leave that toxic relationship.

RASHAD: He's right. Everyone has their breaking point and you've finally reached yours.

(Gets off the desk, moves to his computer screen)

Now, we have to be prepared. Simon is going to bring up your past.

SILVIA: Can't we leave the past out of this?

RASHAD: Simon is not going to take it easy on you.

(Silvia hangs her head defeated)

Which may not be a bad thing.

(Looks up at Rashad)

SILVIA: How so?

RASHAD: Then the judge would be able to see that he's always been an asshole and this wasn't his first time acting this way towards you.

(Her face brightens up a little)

SILVIA: So you really think we have a chance of winning this?

DON: I think we certainly do.

RASHAD: We have a strong case and even stronger evidence. We got this.

SILVIA: I sure hope so.

(Their conversation continues. Fades out)

END SCENE