Part VII

Int. 9 am the next morning. Rashad is laying down on the couch. The alarm clock on his phone is going off in the kitchen. He looks tired and drained. He slowly gets off the couch and makes his way upstairs

(He enters the empty bedroom and heads to his closet. He picks out his suit for work and then heads to the bathroom, turns on the faucet, then takes off his clothes. He stands in front of the bathroom sink looking in the mirror. His expression makes it easy to see that something is bothering him. His eyes are red. He looks restless. He has a scratch on his shoulder that he studies. After studying it for a while he makes his way into the shower, sliding the glass door shut as he stands under the water)

(Sighs deeply)

RASHAD: C'mon Rashad. Shake it off.

(He dips his head under the shower head. Memories of November 4, 2008 coming back to him)

Flashback

(It's about 9pm and everyone is in their dorm rooms watching the results of the Presidential election. Toni, Alex, Jayda and Danielle are all gathered in Don, James and Rashad's dorm room)

DON: I need Obama to win this thing!

JAMES: It's looks close. I don't know, man.

DON: Too close. Florida needs to get it together because I can't afford for my tuition to go up.

ALEX: Boy, your acting like you pay your tuition out of pocket.

DON: Your acting like you know my life.

DANIELLE: Don't come for my friend like that!

JAMES: You women always get so emotional..

(The groups starts going back and forth. Rashad and Toni are sitting away from them having their own conversation)

RASHAD: Did you eat anything today? You know your not just eating for one now. Can't have my little man starving.

(Whispers)

TONI: Yes, I ate! And keep your voice down, I don't want anyone to know our business.

(Smiling)

RASHAD: I'm sorry, I'm just so excited! I'm gonna be a dad! I can't wait to see lil man.

(Faint smile)

TONI: Yeah.

(Not noticing Toni's reaction because he's turned his attention to the argument that's taking place in his dorm room)

RASHAD: Yo! Keep it down! Y'all trying to get kicked out?

DON: Yeah! What's wrong with you women?!

JAMES: Acting like y'all don't have any home training!

GIRLS: Shut up!

(Alex and Jayda, who are standing next to James, smack him in the head at the same time that Danielle- standing next to Don- smacks him in the head)

DON: Girl, don't mess with my waves.

(Rashad laughs)

RASHAD: Y'all are stupid.

NEWS REPORTER: Ladies and gentlemen, the results are in. For the first time in history the White House will have children in it. Barack Obama is now the 44th President of the United States of America.

(Everyone jumps up and start to cheer. Someone from a room down the yells out "party outside". Everyone gets up and heads outside. Toni pulls Rashad to the side while their friends leave the room)