Episode Ten

Changing into some comfortable joggers and a long-sleeved shirt, I picked up my guitar and songbook

Changing into some comfortable joggers and a long-sleeved shirt, I picked up my guitar and songbook. I needed peace. Today had been hell served with a large side of assholes.

It took a while before I eased into my normal routine and began coming up with new chords. After jotting down my new chorus, someone knocked on my door. Probably Aunt Debbie.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"It's me." A low voice said. Shit. Not who I was expecting. Didn't Tyler have a girlfriend to keep him busy? "Why haven't you answered my messages?"

"I'm busy. Go away." I used the angriest tone I could muster.

"I brought food." His tone was playful.

I was starving, but I was willing to starve until everyone went home.

"I'm not hungry."

"I know you haven't eaten all day. Just open the door, Ember."

The way he said my name sent shivers down my spine. Why did he have that effect on me? And how in the hell did he know I hadn't eaten all day?

But none of that mattered. "No. Just leave the food and go."

"We need to talk." Tyler wasn't budging from my door and it was pissing me off.

"No, we don't. You need to go downstairs and take care of your girlfriend." I said.

"Damn it." Footsteps moved away from my door.

Good. He was finally using his brain instead of his... other head.

Suddenly, my doorknob rattled, then twisted, and the door opened. I shot to my knees, ready to beat him over the head with my guitar. "I can't believe you broke into my room. What the hell is wrong with you?"

Tyler picked up two plates from the credenza and stepped into the room, glancing around. "Flowers? Brutal."

"What the fuck? I locked it for a reason. What if I was naked?" I whisper-shouted.

"I wouldn't be complaining." Tyler quirked his head to the side as he took me all in. "Shit. You play guitar, too?"

Glancing down at my guitar, I fell to my mattress with a huff. "Yeah, why?"

"I just heard downstairs that Nancy Trillo is coming out of retirement to prepare you for the talent show and some big audition, and now I'm finding out that you play the guitar. You're super fuckin' talented, aren't you? What else do you do? Do you sing?" Tyler balanced the dinner plates on my bedside table before he snatched my songbook off the bed.

"Hello? No! Give it back. I never gave you permission to look at that." Setting my guitar to the side, I crawled over to him.

When I reached to take my book, Tyler continued to read as he quickly palmed my forehead like a basketball, successfully holding me back. For one long second, I waited for his bare skin against mine to spark another reaction, but nothing happened.