Episode Twenty Eight

Drowning in the renewed loss of my father, I had no idea how to find my way back to sanity

How could Missy know such an essential piece of Dad's story? And how could my mother withhold such crucial information?

Was there really a note? If there was, why hadn't I heard about it? How dare my mother tell Aunt Debbie about it and not me, and how dare Missy use it as ammunition against me. Fuck all of them.

Missy had always been jealous of my relationship with my dad. Any person on the street could attest to how much my dad cared about me. I was a daddy's girl, and he did everything for me. He was my rock. That is... until he disappeared.

That's when the tears started. Sobs racked through me as I embraced the fact that my dad was never coming back.

My cries were out of control as Justin set me down in someone's vehicle. Deep voices spoke around me, but I was too out of it to care what they were saying. I just wanted to disappear and go where my dad went.

How could my mother not tell me? Was I really the reason my dad left or... the reason he died? Was he actually dead? Had he really... killed himself?

No. No way. Dad would never do something so selfish and irrational. He was the strongest man in the world. The day he went missing had been the most terrible day of my life. My father would never do anything like that to me on purpose.

"Angel?" Justin's voice floated through my horrible cries.

I looked in his general direction, but I could barely see him through the entangled thoughts knotted in my brain. I nodded at whatever he said, but honestly, none of it mattered.

I'm not sure how much time passed before I realized I was in a truck, heading toward town. The sweetness of fresh oranges took over my senses as I became more aware of my surroundings. I knew that smell. Sweet rolls and fresh oranges. I wanted to taste it. It was so yummy, and it belonged to Lucas.

"Where're you taking me?" I asked as I rubbed my swollen eyes, turning my head to analyze his mohawk.

Lucas snapped out of whatever was on his mind as his eyes landed on me. "Gods, Ember. Are you okay? You scared the fuck out of us."

Exhausted from my breakdown, I nodded, and I stared at him blankly before he glanced back at the road. "I don't want to go home. I can't go back there."

"I know." His knuckles whitened around the steering wheel as a muscle ticked in his jaw. "I'm taking you to Justin's place. We're staying there tonight."

"But..." I glanced out the window. "What about his parents? Won't they get mad if he brings home a random girl."

Lucas chuckled as he glanced my way again. "No. They're eager to meet you, Gorgeous. I don't know what you know about our world, but we've all been searching for you for a long, long time."