Episode Twelve

Happy to find my room empty, I closed the door

Happy to find my room empty, I closed the door. Pressing my back to it, I released a heavy breath.

What the hell? Tyler, Justin, and Lucas were all getting to me in strange, unexpected ways.

I couldn't let them continue to corner me or get me alone. It didn't help that they were all involved with the meanest girls in school. One of which was my bitchy ass cousin.

If I let my guard down, I could easily find myself in a precarious situation, and that was the opposite of what I wanted.

I pulled out my phone, needing to hear Josh's voice.

"Ember?" Josh was out of breath.

"Yeah, who else?" I laughed. "What are you doing? Can we FaceTime?"

"Uh... I'm just getting out of the shower." Josh whispered.

I could almost see him walk out of his bathroom and down his dark hallway, passing his little brother's room. It was three hours later in Florida. So, it was well after eleven there.

"I miss you," I whispered as his bedroom door shut in the background.

"I miss you too." Josh used his regular voice this time, and I could hear the smile in his voice.

"FaceTime me, please? I wanna see you." I whined.

"I want to, but I have a stupid presentation due tomorrow, and I still have a lot to do. How about tomorrow?" Josh asked.

"Okay." I did my best to use a wounded puppy voice. "I guess."

Josh started laughing. "Fuck. I miss you so much, Em. School sucks without you."

I laughed and nodded, even though he couldn't see me. "School's awful here. Missy's turning the whole school against me. I'm literally in hell, Joshy. It's terrible."

"I can't believe you got in a fight on your first day. I'm just glad you're not hurt." Josh sounded distracted. I could only assume he was trying to work on his homework while talking to me.

A soft knock on my door made my stomach plummet. "Crap."

"What?" Josh asked.

"There's someone at my door."

"Okay." Josh chuckled. "Then open it."

"But I don't want to," I whispered only loud enough for Josh to hear.

"Why are we whispering?" Josh whispered.

"Because we're in enemy territory," I whispered.

The knock came harder this time. Damn it!

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Me," Tyler said.

Shit!