Episode Eleven

Meandering downstairs, I heard Aunt Debbie and some woman in the kitchen

Meandering downstairs, I heard Aunt Debbie and some woman in the kitchen. They were discussing fundraisers and bake sales. Wanting to be far away from that conversation, I wandered outside to the front porch.

I sucked in a breath of fresh air, happy to be free from the suffocating drama inside. Crisp air filled my lungs as I took in the night. The sky was gorgeous. I'd seriously never seen so many stars in my life. Colorado's sky surpassed anything Florida offered.

Don't get me wrong, the beach was great, but I was a diehard fangirl when it came to the sky. I loved watching the ever-morphing clouds and don't even get me started on the stars and the moon.

Huh. Maybe there was a plus to living here because damn. The endless stars at this elevation were fucking out of this world. The moon looked nearly full and served as a spotlight in the darkness, telling me I was home.

The rustling of leaves yanked my attention to the side of the house, but I couldn't see anything in the darkness. There were no fences in this neighborhood, but considering the ample distance between homes, personal barriers weren't exactly a necessity. After searching for a minute, I found nothing. It must've just been a small animal.

Taking a seat on the front steps, I mindlessly started strumming my guitar while humming my new song as I continued to study the moon. It looked like it would be full in a few days.

"Damn, you're really good." Lucas appeared by my side, smiling as he sat.

I stopped fingering the chords to find Missy, but Lucas was totally alone. "Where's Missy?"

"Upstairs in your room. She's supposedly helping Jenny, but I know she's really just drooling over Tyler." Lucas gave me a tight smile as he rested his elbows on his knees.

I knotted my brow, wondering why he just told me that, but I'd seen the way Missy gazed longingly at Tyler this morning. So, I guess it really wasn't that big of a secret.

My heart ached for Lucas. The sad look on his face told me he had a big problem with Missy's crush. "Does she do that... often?"

"Yeah, it's annoying as hell. I mean, besides Justin, he's my bestfriend. And fuck, I know Ty's one of the most popular guys in school, but so am I. Why does everyone want him? He's the biggest player I know." Lucas's brow furrowed.

I playfully strummed a tune and made up a silly song. "Big man on campus. You think a lot of yourself. Just remember school's hell. One day, it'll all be over and you'll be happy that shit's done."

A sexy grin spread across lips as he released a hearty laugh. "Damn. How'd you do that?"

I smiled and sang in a weird voice. "Do what?"

"Make me feel good when I was feeling like shit." Lucas's green eyes sparkled. "Will you play a real song for me?"

My heart sped up, and I shook my head. "I don't think—"