Episode Sixteen

According to my schedule, my choir teacher was Mrs

According to my schedule, my choir teacher was Mrs. Shammel, and I was pretty sure she was the lady that looked like Olive Oyl from Popeye as she waited for students to come inside the classroom.

When her dark eyes found me, her short black hair bobbed as she rushed over. "Oh, you must be Ember."

I nodded, confused about why she was in such a hurry.

Her hands came together in a loud clap, showing off her long slim fingers. "Excuse my excitement, but I hear you're quite the singer. Would you mind singing for me?"

"Uh... right now?" Glancing at the students passing by the open door, I suddenly felt incredibly exposed, especially with all the rumors flying around the school.

"Oh, it's alright. They'll be in class soon and they all heard my students auditioning yesterday. Do you know the movie Burlesque?"

Even though it sounded familiar, I'd never seen it. I shook my head.

"No problem." Mrs. Shammel waved me off. "Do the names Cher or Christina Aguilera ring any bells?"

Was she kidding? I chuckled. "Yeah."

She clapped her hands together again. "Terrific! We'll be working on some interesting songs this year for our first play. Mr. Tanner, the drama teacher, has agreed to cast my most advanced students, and I've already spoken to him about you. He informed me you're already enrolled in his class."

I pulled out my schedule to show her. "I have drama next."

Mrs. Shammel smiled. "Wonderful! There aren't many who can sing these songs." She took a deep breath like she forgot to breathe as she pressed a hand to her chest. "When you didn't come to class yesterday, I have to admit I was afraid that I'd have to speak to Mr. Tanner about changing up our plans after I auditioned my best singers. So far, Jessica Reed is all I have for the female lead," She pulled me close, lowering her voice to a whisper. "But between you and me, she's awful. I'd like to see what your capabilities are. This play will be so much fun. You're gonna love it."

Whoa. Who was this lady and where had she been all my life? I was really beginning to like Mrs. Shammel. Most people would call her weird or quirky, but I loved her passion for exploring outside the box, and her attitude was contagious.

"What song do you want me to sing?" I let some eagerness leak into my voice.

Her eyes widened with joy as she handed me some sheet music. "Look this over, and I'll be right back. I'll play the original song for you, and then I'll play the instrumental version so you can sing. Sound good?"

I nodded and nervousness took over as I studied the sheet music. Bound to You appeared to be a very complicated slow song. From the singers she mentioned in Burlesque, I knew the style Mrs. Shammel was looking for and this wasn't going to be easy. I practiced all the time by myself, so maybe I could pull this off, but I would have to give it my all.