Episode Twenty Two

"Oh, my God, Ember

"Oh, my God, Ember. What's going on? First Lucas and Tyler, and now Justin is watching your practice and following you home? This is straight-up insanity, girl. Spill!" Lucy demanded as we drove to my house.

"I don't know. I'm just as confused as you are. You know you're like my new best friend, right?" I stared at her, desperately wanting to talk to her about my problems.

"I am?" Lucy's eyebrows shot up as she gave me a huge smile. "I don't think I have a best friend, well, except for Steve and Vicky, but they're just my closest friends at school. I don't really do anything with them outside of school, except for some parties. Speaking of, I think I might go tonight, but I'm starving. I need to go home and get some food before I go. Or maybe I'll just stay home."

I grabbed Lucy's shoulder and shook. "Stop. You're babbling."

Lucy broke into a laugh. "Oh, my God. I totally am. Sorry. You were telling me I'm your best friend?"

"Yeah." I laughed. "And don't worry. I'll get you fed. I swear as your new best friend that you will eat dinner every night, okay?"

Lucy glanced at me with tears in her eyes. "Really?"

Where in the world had this girl been all my life? I needed to take care of her. She was amazing.

"Yes. Now stop. You're gonna make me cry too." I wiped a tear from the corner of my eye.

"Okay." Lucy wiped her eyes as she turned toward my house. "So, now that we're officially best friends, you have to tell me everything."

So, I did. Well, I told her everything except the superpower stuff, and the weird reactions I had to certain people, and the glowing eyes. Okay, I told her everything and left out the 'girl, you batshit crazy' topics.

After I told her about my boyfriend, Lucy shook her head. "Break up with your boyfriend. I see how you look at the guys, Ember. You could even be dating all of them now and not even know it."

"What?" I laughed, shaking my head. "That makes no sense."

"They all look at you like you're a goddess or something. Everyone sees it. You're not gonna get rid of them. They've never acted like this before. I was thinking about it earlier and I think Tyler was making out with Angela this morning purposely to piss you off. He was having too much fun with it. Usually, he only makes out with girls because he's angry or bored." Lucy pulled up to the curb.

"Holy shit. I was thinking the same thing. Tyler wanted me to react, didn't he?" I slapped my forehead before I opened my door. "And I totally fell for it. I gave him exactly what he wanted."

"Yep." Lucy slammed her door. "And he's got it bad for you, girl. They all do. Like, take Lucas for example. From what I heard, Lucas has an abusive home life, and he was a depressed puppy before you got here, but now he's all smiles whenever you're around. I've never seen Lucas get angry with Tyler, but he did today, and I heard Lucas broke up with Missy literally minutes after we left them in the cafeteria."