Episode Eighteen

The cafeteria smelled gross

The cafeteria smelled gross. I was relieved when I spotted the salad bar. At least they had another option other than whatever stinky food they made today.

As I made a salad, one guy passed me with what looked to be meatloaf and mashed potatoes. He must've been starving because there were at least two helpings loaded on his tray.

With my salad in hand, I searched for a seat and was shocked at how fast the seating in the enormous lunchroom had filled up. Nearly every table was already taken.

"Ember!" Some guy yelled from a back table. I glanced over to see my worst nightmare.

Tyler, Lucas, and Justin all had their eyes directed at me. They were wearing their hoodies, and it wasn't even cold. Tyler stood near the wall with his arms crossed. Lucas was standing next to him with his hands in his pockets, and Justin leaned on the wall next to Tyler with one leg propped up. Why weren't they eating?

A bunch of guys laughed and guffawed nearby. My hate club and the rest of what I assumed to be the so-called popular girls sat at the table near them. The three guys staring at me didn't appear to care about the other people, but that didn't change the fact that they had a gigantic following.

I'm not sure who it was that yelled my name, but I couldn't overlook Missy's glare. Her arms were folded tightly across her chest as she silently wished for me to drop dead. Maybe if she smiled every once in a while, more guys would give her the attention she wanted.

Yeah. There was no way that I was going over there. Eating alone sounded like a much better plan. Making my way to one of the last empty tables in a corner, I pulled out my script and studied as I ate.

Suddenly, something bounced off my table. I jumped in response, nearly spilling water on my script.

An apple. Someone threw a fucking apple at me. What the hell?

Glancing in the direction the apple came from, Jenny smiled wickedly before Tyler yelled at her.

Everyone who saw the apple fly across the lunchroom watched and waited for me to blow up, but I didn't. I was oddly comfortable, and I didn't feel like walking all the way over there at the moment.

That's when I noticed Lucy walk out of the restroom.

"Lucy!" I stood, waving her over.

Lucy smiled and pointed to another table, gesturing for me to join.

I analyzed the table, and a bunch of people smiled at me, but there was only one spot left and it was Lucy's spot. I shook my head with a grin and sat back down.

I wasn't possessive or selfish. Lucy obviously had a life and other friends before she met me. Plus, her friends weren't assholes, which was a big deal. I'd meet them later, but for now, I'd be fine on my own.