Episode Twenty Seven

"Dude?" The cute guy cleared his throat, elbowing Steve

"Dude?" The cute guy cleared his throat, elbowing Steve. "Aren't you gonna introduce us?"

"What? Oh, yeah, sorry." Steve pushed up his glasses as he glanced at me. "Ember, this is my boy Collin."

The corner of my mouth lifted as I took in Collin's soft blond hair. It was messy, but I could tell he styled it to look that way.

The short guy next to Collin cleared his throat, getting Steve's attention.

"Oh, and Ember, this is Travis." Steve laughed as he glanced at me. "Everyone wants to know you."

I chuckled as my cheeks heated. "I guess it's the new girl thing."

"No. It's because you're badass." Faith poked me as she took a long swig of her beer. "Your house is amazing, Collin. When are your parents coming home?"

"Um... next week." Collin's blue eyes were kind as they wandered over me before he slid next to me. "Nice to finally meet you, Ember. I've seen you around school, and I was hoping you'd come tonight. I hope the clothes fit okay."

Biting my bottom lip, I glanced down at my fantastic outfit. "They fit great. Will you thank your sister for me?"

"Yeah, but she won't be home for a few months, so I'm sure she'll never even know." Collin's lips tipped into a sweet smile. "She's going to college upstate."

"Oh," I nodded. "Well, she has great taste."

"If you say so. Honestly, her clothes look a lot better on you." Collin was trying to flirt, and it was cute. "So, I hear you sing? I'd love for you to see something. Not many can appreciate it, but maybe you can."

Travis threw his head back, groaning. "Dude, just let her chill. She's not here to put on a show."

Collin eyed his brown haired friend. "What? I just want her to see it."

"See what?" I finished off my beer.

Collin politely took my cup and stacked it under his before he gestured for me to follow him.

"Where are you going?" Lucy asked.

"I'm just showing her the atrium. We'll be back in a minute." Collin lightly wrapped his hand around my elbow to help guide me around the swarming partiers.

Grinning with curiosity, I let him lead me into a massive room behind the kitchen. The lights were off, but the windows were gigantic, giving way to the bright moonlight. It was beautiful. From the looks of it, the moon would be full in a day or two.

Glancing around the darkness in the monstrous room, people loitered, but not many. One large object drew my attention.

"A piano?" I squinted as Collin slid the dimmer to half-mast, subtly illuminating the room.

"The acoustics in here are out of this world. My dad designed this room as a gift for my mother when they built the house, but she barely uses it. She isn't much of a musician anymore." Collin tugged me toward the piano, and I spotted microphones, amps, and several string instruments, including three guitars.