Chapter One | Are You Ready?

"Are you ready?"

Dew setting its presence upon the warm California land in the early hours of the morning, Melissa's close friend — Aubrey, forced a flash of smile toward the twenty-seven-year-old, with  cashmere sweater on black jeans,

clad upon her chubby, standing frame.

Each letter of those words wreaking of the tension in the air, she didn't need a soothsayer to resound the level of anxiety consuming Melissa — her 

With a long coast with golden sand beaches, the beaches in California are stunning — amazing for sunbathing, surfing, and people-watching. Unfortunately, they aren’t so great for swimming, as the water is quite cold, rarely going above 20ºC, and the waves can be quite big.

One other thing California is famous for is its giant trees, the California Redwoods. In fact, there are two distinct species of California Redwoods, the coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) and the giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum). Fun fact: They are both considered the state tree of California, as the legislator only mentioned California Redwoods, not identifying the species.

These trees used to be common in the northern hemisphere, but they are now confined to the Pacific coast (in California, Oregon, and Washington), and most of its groves are located inside national and state parks. They are considered the tallest and the largest trees in the world and are dubbed nature’s skyscrapers.

Within the USA and even globally, California is known for its huge Spanish and Mexican heritage.

the crazy traffic jams on huge highways became part of the state’s main cities day by day and one of the things California is famous for.

She didn't need a soothsayer to tell how terribly Melissa was drowning in a well of worry.

Both ladies stood opposite each other; their frames near the opened car doors, as Aubrey repeated the question, "Are you ready for this?"

This time, her eyes sunk in, at another glance all over Melissa's disposition.

Cashmere sweater swung over her stout upper frame, clad upon long knob legs, Melissa's hand tied themselves to the hem of her trolley; eyes sullen as the rotund cheeks below them fell in line with the trepidation consuming her.

Aubrey's question only made the consternation she felt triple; far greater than even when she'd informed Aubrey if  her decision to leave L.A for Nigeria. 

She knew Aubrey could see the level of anxiety consuming her entire being. She knew Aubrey could notice each of the times Melissa came into the office with her face looking as though she'd seen a ghost.

She knew Aubrey saw how the dark circles grew darker, and her bags loftier; every single morning at the office. Or the startled expression she'd give any one that came near her; as though she was living in utter fear.

Aubrey saw all of it. Heck, everyone saw all of it.

They saw through her own suffering. Maybe Melissa didn't. Maybe she didn't see enough.

And now, she was fed up. She needed to breathe. To go to a place where liberation was close — where she could grab her freedom by the throat and never let it go.