XXV : Part Two

Chapter 25 / Reunion (Part 2)

Surprise appearances - sometimes - remain the best or worst, there could be.”

*****

On getting to the parlor, Rhoda's eyes met an overweight woman accompanied by another fairly thin man. They were both dressed in similar apparels - same traditional clothing. The clothing appeared to have had a splash of orange at the centre of the yellow color that'd embedded the front and back side. Bright shades of purple was also splattered all round the material. Yes, it was, absolutely, hideous.

Standing right at the door, the scowls on their faces were enough evidence to show how angered, the both of them were.

"So is now ya coming abi?" The stout woman fumed.

No offense but Rhoda wondered which was worse : her accent or the horrible combo of colours, she was clothed in.

At another sound of her voice, Rhoda smiled in apology. "I am so sorry, aunty."

"I didn't expect you both so soon." She walked to the spot where they stood. Their backs were to the steel door.

"But I'm so glad to have you here." She spoke softly. "Please come in."

Only the mere hearing of such thick Igbo accent would make it easy decoding the person's identity.

Of course, it would be her - Aunt Ugo.

Melissa's outrageously annoying aunt. Truth be told, Rhoda never wanted her around.

She never even liked that blabbermouth of a woman.

But since she was the only one of Melissa's relative who didn't hang up at the mention of Melissa's name, Rhoda had to settle for her. (You can bet how hard of a decision it was for Rhoda to make!)

And her husband? He was one heck of a perfectionist. And she thought her Mother was so bad... You should meet this man.

As expected, Aunt Ugo's husband reprimanded, "Young lady, why keep your guests waiting for so long? Have you got no courtesy?"

His face folded up in a revolting glower, as he - somehow - managed to fixate his body in a soldier stance. Both hands clutched behind him, his fists became redder than she could remember seeing them, ten years ago.

"Are you sure this house has even been properly cleaned? I wouldn't want I or my wife to contract any form of disease, before leaving your abode."

Already starting to be irritated, Rhoda gestured toward them, "Uncle, please come in. The house is squeaky clean. I made sure to clean it several times."

"Hmm...." He scoffed, his eyes rummaging his entire sorrounding, in disgust. "By what I am seeing right now, I absolutely doubt if you've ever - even - done as much as sweep any part of this house." He crunched his nose, and slightly squinted his eyes, in obvious irritation.

"And your decor? Definitely not suitable. It's not even arranged in a proper manner. " He spoke again. "And these items are way too cheap. Is that how poor you and your parents have become?" He pointed round the fancy light bulbs sorrounding the edge of the ceiling.