XXVII

Chapter 27 | In Jail

"Maybe letters were never meant to be sent, in the first place..."

.........

Arriving at the police station located at the rural area of Festac, the driver - also clothed in a police uniform - pulled up the police van.

At once, the lanky Officer got down from the front passengers seat, and sauntered to the back of the van.

His feet stopped in their tracks and aligned themselves, directly close to each other, as he stiffened his upper body.

He watched the plump Officer, lead Melissa down, from the van, and unto the sandy ground of the area.

Seeing her slouched shoulders and fallen eyes, his firm shoulders softened, as soon as his legs relaxed.

Noting his sudden change of posture, he quickly replaced this sudden empathy, by retaking his previous pose.

He would be lying to say he didn't feel any form of pity for her.

Somewhere in his heart, he wondered how someone with such an innocent outlook, could harm another human, so brutally.

Yet, this wasn't that much of a surprise.

He'd witnessed worse crimes. He was an officer of the law, after all...

Hardening his feet to the ground, his eyes kept on viewing, as the plump Oficer guided Melissa into the police station.

As soon as his right feet moved to take a step, in order to follow suit, his ears caught the noise of a car pulling up.

His feet retracting, his face turned to see the car, from which that noise emanated from.

Parking that car right behind the police van, a man that appeared familiar to the Officer, emerged.

The Officer recognized him to be the same person at the crime scene: the advocate of the suspect - Melissa.

Turning his body towards the direction this man traipsed from, the Officer took a better look at this person.

That was when this 'man' called out, "Officer." His steps moving in the same direction, as before.

The left side of the policeman's lips stretched into a side smile, as his lips parted to say, "No need for the formalities, Spencer."

"No one's watching, after all." This time, that side smile had stretched into a full, smirk.

On getting to the spot where the Officer stood, Spencer's lips also parted into a wide beam. "It felt so good seeing you again, Hazeem.... Or should I say, Officer Hazeem?"

They both chuckled at the sound of that.

"Detective, actually." Hazeem corrected. "I got promoted recently."

"Oh." Spencer beamed. "Congratulations." He brought out his hand for a quick shake. In response, Hazeem slid his hand into Spencer's, and said. "Thank you."