XIV

A/N:- Hey, if you've gotten this far, I really can't thank you enough, honestly❤

++ Unedited ++

Chapter 14 / Surprise!

"Surprises should always come in double packages.."

.....

Try as Rhoda might, she failed to avert the trail of morning sun cast on her closed eyes.

She could feel its brightness. And honestly it wasn't pleasant, at that moment.

So, she squinted her eyes. Then, put her right hand over her shut eyes. And even turned to the other side of the bed.

But none of her actions worked.

It looked like, even the sun could discern the specialty of that morning. And thus insisted she started the day earlier than she'd planned, the previous day.

She was sure the time was somewhere around seven. So, most creeping insects and animals who show their mighty prowess to humans at night had retired back into their hiding place. The silence engulfing her sorroundings, was a proof of this.

Despite her restle with the sun, her ears never paid deafness to the chirps the birds gave out of their pointed beaks as they flew serially. Each flapped its wings, one warp after another. And, therefore, displayed exquisiteness and far more harmony than ever.

It seemed like even those birds understood the significance of today. She hadn't heard birds chirp so beautifully or fly so united and full of joy - in a very long while. Probably years, she supposed.

You know that awful taste that always takes over your mouth, early in the morning? Totally distasteful.

But, instead, of such revolting taste, Rhoda recognizes a much better one; such that desisted any form of bitterness or sourness.

A more neutral taste lingered along her taste buds; like the taste of water. It was neither sweet nor bitter, but quite pleasing and very different.

Even her nose smelt something different; something exhilarating. Instead of the usual inhalation of carbon monoxide escaping from several vehicles passing by the road close to her house, it was the smell of a sweet cold breeze that welcomed itself into her nostrils.

One that possessed the ability to sweep the ocean to and fro; toward its shore and back. And such smell brought back soothing peace; one her lips would never be able to tell or explain.

Tickling each follicle of hair in her nostrils, it arose more excitement and anticipation.

But what could such excitement mean? Was it Melissa's birthday? Or hers? Was there something special she'd forgotten?

A little perplexed, Rhoda decided to enquire if Melissa experiencing same as she was. She might just know what's up.

So, with both eyes still shut, Rhoda stretched her hands forward and tapped Melissa's side of the bed - the right side. (Rhoda's plan was to tap then ask.)

She felt nothing - nothing but the smoothness of the thick bedsheet. Melissa had probably resolved in starting the day early. Earlier than Rhoda, even.

This was quite unusual. Melissa was never an early riser. Most times or rather, everytime, someone would have to wake up her up or else she'd sleep like a log for the whole day.

Since Melissa had taken such initiative, Rhoda might as well do so. Plus, such thrill persisted in her spirit so much that sleep just had to keep itself at far bay.