XXVI

A/N : Thanks for 2k reads, y'all. I'm grateful ❤️

.............

Chapter 26 | The Unexpected

"The unexpected came knocking...."

........

Yet frozen, her sight struggled to register what it beheld. Now gummed together, her mouth lost the ability to form words. Only her racing heartbeats, plus echoes of peril, resounded in her almost impaired hearing.

In that backyard, Spencer stood at certain meters away from her. And couldn't get closer than ten meters, even if he wanted. (Due to the restraining orders.)

Clothed in a black suit, he took a calm visage, as he called softly, "Mel..."

Though she hadn't set eyes on him for so long, his voice still rang terror in her ears.

And that was when the memories of the pain he'd unleashed on her, the horrendous years she'd spent under the same roof as him, came flooding in at once.

She could still feel the pang her insides felt from every one of his hard punches.

The hair on her skin arose, cringing because of the diggings of his sharp feisty finger in the derma of her neck.

And what about the subtle yet horrendous gush of the trickles of blood from each folding of that spot?

Not to talk of the sour taste her tongue was still registering, the second his palms would - more often than not - smack her cheeks...

The saltiness of the liquid that trickled down into her mouth - as her face would remain grabbed in the pressure of his fists - lingered on as a recent taste.

Even the force from his warm hands that always grabbed her frail body, was still cramming the life out of her, right there where she stood.

Oh, the horror!

Therefore, the instant her eyes caught him taking one step toward her, her legs immediately flee for its own existence.

Breathing heavily, her hands swung, in maximum clout, through the air. While her feet never stopped to take a break.

With each stumpy step she'd taken, she could feel her heart almost jumping out of her body. She didn't know where she was going. But all her brain registered at that moment was: run, run, and run!

Melissa's eyes never viewed a human standing there. She'd perceived the monstrosity. Thus, the determination to flee from such eyesore.

How could he come back to her life, now of all times?

How? And why?

Why? Tears cascaded down her cheeks, the breeze drying out every trail.

Although the day had been bright, ominous clouds suddenly covered the face of the sky. And darkness started overtaking her surrounding. Maybe it was in her head or something, but as swift as she ran, she could sense an electrifying feeling, from the thunder that struck, so fiercely.