XXVIII

Ch. 28 | Revelations

“Sometimes, it takes one unusal encounter to unveil all revelations laying before your eyes all these while!"

******

A gleam of the bright morning sun escaped the tiny window opposite Melissa's cell, and shone on her closed eyes.

Her eyelids wiggled in war of such reflection. Yet, that flash tore those sleepy lids, wide open.

Yawning, she pushed her hand up as her face lifted.

Putting her right palm over her mouth as a cover, she glanced at the little notebook, on the ground.

Strokes of dried saliva trailed adjacent sides of the front page, and a rough silhouette of a side of her face entrenched same rugged page.

In view of such spectacle, she hit her forehead with the raised palm.

Shoot! She cursed. I can't believe I slept off.

While her palm rested on her forehead, a memory from last night flashed through her thoughts.

She wrote it. She'd scribbled words into a particular sheet of paper, torn from that notebook.

Melissa remembered begging the Officer in charge for the note book. He'd refused to give her — times without number.

Still, she continued in resilience. And only that, earned her the writing materials, required to fufill the mission her heart set at.

Yet again, a picture of her signature at the end floated through her thoughts. And it - immediately - caused her to look around in search of that small sheet of paper.

She recalled setting it apart - somewhere in the cell - to get some minutes of rest, after three days of sleeplessness.

Still in hunt, her gaze reached the edge of the cell, opposite to her spot. (She'd slept right in the middle of the cell.)

Rummaging through that space, her gaze landed on the folded piece of note.

She dragged her body to that area and  picked it up.

Then, Melissa read through :

Dear Stalker,

What have I ever done to you?!

Of all your victims, why did you choose to trail after me?

You could have harmed me, and fled off - like you normally do.

Or better still, kill me - since that has always been your intention.

But why all this?

You've ruined my life.

I really hope you're happy. What am I saying? I'm very sure you're glad I'm arrested for the murder you committed, against a sweet innocent soul.