maiden dance (2)*(chapter 13)

Mariam, looked at me mouth agape . I turned to her after Sthe, left and went into the house.

"Why do you look so surprised?", I asked her , "you just literally made the scariest, most stabbon man put on a shirt".

"Sthe, is quite nice" , I said looking at her weirdly, "oh my dear, only you can say such words as we've never seen him act nice" .

I was unsure of what to say next , "is the food ready?" I decided to ask instead . "Yes we'll eat in a few minutes , I need to go and inform mother".

I nodded , I did not feel comfortable with the queen mother , she had never really shown a positive attitude towards me.

I fastened the cloth on my head and sat down infront of the shed .

Mariam, soon came with the queen mother, "why are you here?", She asked looking at me hatefuly . I bowed , "I helped Mariam, prepare the meals" . "Who asked you to do that? Don't you know , she cooks because she is a married woman who needs to take care of her home and husband .

Why do you cook? Don't you know what man do?, If you don't have anything to do you might as well help the man with their chores .

Their getting the field ready for the festival, you can go and help them out, instead of doing work meant for a woman" .

My head was bowed and I felt like crying , the woman reminded me of my father . He was the same ,he said cooking was for women , why could I not cook ? Why could I not sew clothes? .

I believed a man can do what a woman can and a woman can do what man can do . "Mother , I will not tolerate your tone while talking to him", Sthe's voice came like a song calming my heart down.

The queen mother looked at him , "son , the pale boy is a man, he needs to do what men do". "Who said that mother? If he wants to cook ,he will cook , no one can stop him , not even me. Is that clear mother ?".

His tone was stern ,that the queen mother looked out of words , she looked at me as if saying I was the one at fault.

I looked down again to avoid her eyes , my timid nature coming into play. Sthe ,walked up to me , "Dali , what did I tell you about looking down? ", "Not to" I replied automatically as if it was programmed into my system.

"Then why are you looking down?", "I can't raise my head infront of royalty", "Dali , you will not bow to anyone , not even me" .

He raised my chin with his hand , "if you do that again ,I'll punish you" , those last three words were whispered into my ears. My cheeks flamed.

He again turned to his mother , "if you are not willing to eat food cooked by him then it's okay . I'll eat all of it no matter the taste and I'll finish it , after all I can't let Dali's food go to waste".

My heart bloomed at that , a warm feeling spread through my chest. This man is simply the best , I thought to myself. "Mariam, helped cook, ofcaurse the family has to eat" .

"Let's go in Dali, they will dish up". I nodded and smiled , "Sthe ?", "Yes Dali?", "Soon I have to go back home" . Sthe, turned , "don't worry I'll find you" . I wanted to ask him how he'll do that but it seemed the topic was closed.

The king sat at the table and smiled when he saw me , I bowed in greeting only to hear an angry growl from behind me .

"Why don't you listen Dali?" Sthe, asked , voice deeper which sent shivers down my spine. "His your father Sthe", "I know" , "his the king",I said to make him understand.

"Yes he is", Sthe, acknowledged, "Ndlovu Kazi ( queen) that's what you are to me" . I did not understand what he meant by that but it sounded serious. The king looked at Sthe ,

"his the one you've chosen?", Sthe nodded . "Yes father" . I just wondered , what was I chosen for.