the gift* (chapter 18)

My mind was put at ease by his story but still as the marriage preparations went on, I began to feel I was in danger somehow and I never doubted my instincts.

Sthe, did not seem to be worried though I wondered did he not feel what I felt . I felt like a dark cloud was looming above our heads.

To tell the truth I had never been a spiritual person but in that moment I felt a strong need to pray to God and that is exactly what I did.

"Dear why do you have that worried look on your face ?" Mariam, had asked as we were fetching water from the river .

"I have a bad feeling that's all", I told her looking at the mountains as if they could take away the uneasy feeling brewing in my gut.

"That does not sound good at all", she told me looking a little worried. "I know , I don't know if I should voice my Feelings to Sthe" . "I suggest you do , maybe he'll know how to ease your troubled mind".

I nodded agreeing with her suggestion. Just then we passed a couple of young women walking to the river . One began to clap her hands mockingly, she looked me up and down with disgust .

"Are you not ashamed of yourself ?, stealing the prince from his rightful wife . You dare to still show your face around this village , you truly have guts white boy .

Look at you , your not even a beautiful sight to behold yet you still prance around the village with that ugly appearance of yours" .

The other women behind her laughed happily as she spouted all those hurtful words to me. "Boitumelo, stop your nonsense !" Mariam, yelled her voice full of authority.

"You dare spout such words infront of royalty? Have you no respect?". At those words uttered by Mariam, the young women seemed frightened , they all bowed down to Mariam , "uxolo nkosazana(pardon us princess)" they said as they continued to bow .

"You may stand , now let me warn you , if I ever catch you spouting such hateful words from your mouth again I will report you to the king and you will be punished".

We walked away from the young women but I could still hear them whispering in their native tongue. I was truly dejected , it did not help that the queen mother was even more hostile towards me.

Her constant glares sent shivers down my spine . As soon as we got to the palace we placed the water pots down and I sighed . Sthe, had gone out hunting with the other men of the village and even though I refused to admit it , I missed him .

Later that night I could not sleep , I was feeling restless for some reason , the restlessness sent my heart racing with fear somehow.

Suddenly my eyes closed by themselves , I could not believe it , I was awake but at the same time I was not . I could hear the owl crying outside which made me even more scared.

My hair stood on end and it felt like it was being pulled somehow , I felt like crying honestly . Just then everything stopped the sounds , the hair pulling and even the fear that was eating away at me .

I fell into a deep slumber and began to dream, well atleast I thought I was dreaming. "Hello child" , a voice echoed through my mind , I found myself in a room full of clouds .

"Who is there ?" I asked my voice steady as if I was not afraid. "I'm your husband's Granma"  I looked up to see a beautiful old woman , her white hair was let loose and she had a kind smile on her face.

"I don't have much time dear i just came to give you a gift"  at those words white beads appeared out of thin air startling me , she laughed happily and looked at me.

"These beads will protect you from evil , there are those who are trying to break what is not meant to be broken . With these beads no evil shall befall you , I warn you now young child , when the month of your vication is done , go back home" .

At those last words I paused I can't go back home ,"what about Sthe?", I asked her .

"Your bounded by destiny , he will find you , do not worry yourself over such small problems . Now I'm going to send you back to the real world since the land of the dead is no place for the living" .

At her words my eyes once again closed , and I feel into a deep sleep .