One

Cassana

The city is alive with celebration.
I wish I could say the same.

In the courtyard below they set up for the joust, usually, I enjoy sitting beside my father and watching but I know today's joust holds a different meaning. The son of every lord who means anything shall be competing and I know why.

I am of age to be married and everyone knows it.

I also know who is coming to the city, my grandfather. There is only one reason he's coming all this way and it's not for my sixteenth name day.

The man who rules my father wants to make sure the most important marriage to be made in seventeen years is one that will benefit him. To further House Lannisters power, not House Baratheons.

Which is why I had Renly ensure the Tyrells would be here. The Lannisters rule through my father but Renly and I know that we might be able to undermine Tywin through a marriage that will benefit House Baratheon, for the power to rest on our shoulders, not House Lannisters.
But only if we are careful.

The door opens and I turn around expecting it to be Renly but instead it's Margaery armed with a bright smile and Tyrell roses.

"Oh Cassana, you look so lovely," she praises, kissing my cheek and embracing me warmly. I find a moment of hesitant ease in her arms before she pulls away, smiling as she examines the fabric of my Baratheon style dress. "So radiant."

"As are you Margaery," I say looking at the Tyrell rose who is ever beautiful, only growing more charming with age, more like her grandmother. Something I always keep in the back of my mind.

"Roses," she smiles holding them out for me. "You can never have enough beautiful things and I remembered how you loved the roses in Highgarden when you visited. How long ago was that?"

"Last year, Renly took me," I remember having very vividly learned why he decided to venture all the way to Highgarden, which was also the reason why Loras seems to visit the Red Keep so frequently. "And thank you, they are just as beautiful as I remember, as are you."

Her and I have known each other since we were children due to our closeness in age, with her only being a year or so older than I am. Due to distance, I can't say we've ever been around each other for long enough to become truly close in the way I've desired but there are times where I've called her a friend. But that was High Garden, in Kings Landing one can hardly afford to trust anyone enough to call them a friend.

"You are too kind," she laughs modestly as I put the roses into a nearby vase. "You're even more beautiful than I remember, it's a shame they keep you in this keep. You must visit Highgarden soon, perhaps Renly could convince your father to let you return with us after the celebrations have finished."

"It is not my father that needs convincing," I remind her and we both share a knowing look.

She and I did grow close during my last visit to Highgarden, we were growing quite close in a way I didn't think was possible until my mother ordered I return to the Red Keep. When I returned the only explanation she gave was that she didn't want me being influenced by 'that Highgarden whore.'
The closest thing to a true friend and companion I've ever had. Even if I can never truly trust her.

"Perhaps I could convince her to allow me to go as a nameday present."

"Hopefully," she says taking my hand in her's as we come to look out my window. "I cannot imagine being cooped up in this keep, in this city."