Twelve

Cassana

The lords and ladies of the court stop and stare as I walk through the halls of the Red Keep. No one expected me to ever return but here I am. I no longer wear a Northern bun but instead a braided crown. Since I've been forced to return everyone will know that their princess has returned. I'll shake this damn keep to its very core if I must.

"Should we begin?" Maester Pycelles voice echoes from outside the small council chamber.

"Without the King?" I hear Ned ask, and I smile to myself as I enter the room.

"Winter may be coming, but I'm afraid the same cannot be said for my brother," Renly drawls.

"Actually not quite," I say as the Lords all look up at me. "My father has asked that I represent him on the small council."

They all share the same surprised expressions and disbelief that I was prepared for.

"Asked?" Littlefinger asks knowingly. Everyone here knows my father doesn't even have the initiative to even do that.

"He permitted it," I correct. "I might be a woman but he feels that I can help handle some of his duties."

"You're a child," Renly scoffs and I raise an eyebrow at his dismissal of me. "You aren't even of age."

"It's good to see you too uncle," I greet calmly knowing what I would be walking in to. "I know I've been gone some months so you may not remember, but if I can be wed then I am of age and I believe my father is glad that at least one of his children gives a damn about the running of Seven Kingdoms."

Varys and Littlefinger share the same look of curiosity while Renly is still in disbelief.

"When did the king permit this?" Ned asks and I realise that my father failed to even tell his closest friend, I shouldn't be surprised.

"Back in Winterfell, we both decided that if I had to return to the city then I should take some of the weight off of his shoulders."

"This is unheard of," Maester Pycell mumbles under his breath. "Kings have had representatives but never daughters in that place."

"Unheard of yes but it is perfectly allowed, there are no laws or precedent that forbid it," I say as I look to Renly. "As the master of laws should be able to inform everyone."

He blinks at me knowing just how unqualified for that role he is, he knows less about laws than my father knows about ruling. It's not much of a secret that his position on the council is more ceremonial than anything else. Littlefinger, Varys and the hand of the king are the ones who run the realm. I intend to be added to that list.

"I suppose there isn't anything against it," he says stumbling over his words knowing very well to take my word for it.

"In fact my lords it would be helpful to have the princess sit on the council," Varys says much to my surprise.

"Indeed," Littlefinger elaborates. "She will be well versed in the running of a kingdom when it comes time for her marriage."

"I suppose so," Ned says seeming somewhat lost by their careful words, it's the way of Kings Landing, talking your way in and out of everything.