Six

Cassana

Now the excitement of the feast is over, my father has decided to go through with his plans to hold a rather impromptu hunt, but who would say no to a king?

I haven't seen Robb alone since the dinner with the Starks, it's only been a few days but my mother has had Jaime watching me like a hawk after catching us outside my room, my sworn sword she calls him but we both know why he's been placed with me. Neither of us are thrilled that's for certain. I've only seen Robb when surrounded by all his siblings, while it's been pleasant I've been wanting to see him somewhere we can be less formal.

"Will you be going on the hunt with my father?" I ask Jaime and he sighs heavily.

"I would be, but your mother has insisted I make sure you don't run off with the Stark boy."

I really can't tell if she's just being petty or if she truly expects I'll get myself pregnant before the wedding. Probably both. Robb is a very handsome man, but I do have some self-control.

Not much, but some.

"What if I came along?" I ask, wanting to get out of this room and knowing that all the men will be out hunting.

"If you want to ask your mother go ahead," he laughs dismissively. "You know what her answer will be."

"Yes, but it may be different if you tried to convince her," I suggest and he looks hesitant. "Come on uncle Jaime, you might be the only person she actually listens to."

He makes a sound of amusement. "Your mother doesn't listen to anyone."

"Please," I plead with him. "She'll listen to you more than my father, or we could just not tell her and beg forgiveness afterwards."

While he looks tempted by the second option he says "How about you talk to your father and if he says yes then I might be able to convince Cersei to let you go on a hunt. I'm just as tired of being cooped up in this castle as you are and Tyrion leaving me for the brothel doesn't help."

He sounds genuinely offended, gods know he doesn't have any friends beside's Tyrion.

"Thank you uncle Jaime," I say standing to go see my father. "And when I see Tyrion I'll make sure he stays cooped up in this castle with us."

He chuckles. "If anyone could convince him it's you, the most beloved of our nieces and nephews."

"I know," I smile vainly. "Although it's hardly like Joffrey leaves much competition."

Even he can't help but agree. "Well you aren't wrong." His eyes linger on me until he clears his throat. "You look more like your mother every day."

Something in his words feels off, so I inquire further. "And what of it?"

He looks me up and down, almost sadly. "Be glad you take after Tyrion more than her."

It's then I finally dare to ask the man who loves her more than any other. "Uncle Jaime?" He makes a sound of acknowledgement. "Has she always been so cruel?"

A shadow of a smile comes to his face, but it doesn't meet his eyes. "I wish I could say no, but she is my fathers child, far more than I or Tyrion."

"And me?" I hesitantly ask him. "Am I my fathers daughter, or my mothers?"

He finally looks me in the eye and swallows, the most uncomfortable I've seen him. "It doesn't matter. You won't be a Baratheon or a Lannister for much longer. You'll be a Stark."

And somehow the word's fill me with fear rather than relief.

~

Later that day Jaime accompanies me as I find my father amongst the chaos of the men preparing for the hunt, I'm unable to find Robb amongst them but there's no doubt he'll surely be there.