Eleven

Jon

The Lannister watches me while Benjen goes to collect the new recruits.

"Do I make you uncomfortable, bastard?"

"Why are you watching me, dwarf?"

He closes his book. "Do you really need to ask why? I'm trying to understand what would cause my niece to abandon her duty and sensew."

I remain silent, but he isn't finished.

"Do you love her?"

I look up at him, giving a rough one worded answer. "Yes."

"And she loves you," he tells me, and the words almost make me flinch. "I could see it. I don't know how many times I warned her to stay away, but alas, as my brother Jaime would say, we don't get to choose whom we love."

"She's a princess, I'm a bastard, and that's the end of it," I say roughly and he can't argue with that.

"She is a headstrong girl but even she knows you are the one thing she can't have," he tells me. "If I was a betting man I would put my money on her marrying a Martell."

That catches me off guard. "Martell?"

"She's as smart as she is headstrong, or at least I hope for her sake she is. While she sits on the council she'll no doubt orchestrate a great match for herself now she won't dare marry Robb," he tells me. "My father only entertained Roberts proposal between your houses to keep him happy but Robert doesn't care about much these days, a few delays here and there and next thing Cassana will marry someone who is not a Stark. The only houses my father would approve of are Tyrell and Martell. However I know very well she doesn't have much love for Loras as he is bedding her uncle Renly." I blink at him but he doesn't elaborate.. "And the Martells harbour a great hatred for my family, she could easily win the councils support by claiming a marriage would bring peace, when in reality she would weaponise their hatred against my own family."

Now I'm even more confused. "Why would she?"

"She is her fathers daughter, she has rebellion in her veins, ever since she was but a child. Yet I also see much of my fathers ambition in her, just as it is in Cersei, however Cassana is the one who has the guts to take it."

"She told me that when she sits on the council, if she can make this world better for everyone, princess or bastard then her job will have been done well."

He laughs. "Oh her heart may be in the right place with her intolerance for injustice but this is about far more than making the world a better place. She is out for blood and I dare say she will have quite a bit on her hands when this is all over."

"All over?"

He looks at me, and for the first time i see worry in his eyes.

"She has hate in her heart, she will never stand by and watch Joffrey become king. She will either end up on that throne or die trying which is why I suspect she turned her eye from Robb, to protect him as well as herself."

I dare to ask "And me? Was that just to get over Robb."

Tyrion shakes his head slowly. "I wish it was, but her affair with you may just be the first time she's listened to her heart over her head. I fear it won't be the last."

Cassana

We are stopped along the Kings Road while my Father is off hunting and everyone takes a break from the long journey. I'm glad to be out of the carriage, the numbness and the claustrophobia was driving me mad. There is nothing more awful than being left to your own thoughts.