Unravel

Kris woke up with a dry throat. He checked his phone and saw that it was only a little past 3 a.m. He decided to go downstairs to drink water, but as he was walking, he saw his mom at the corner of the living room, kneeling in front of the altar.

"Mom?" He called. The woman was startled, she slowly turned towards him. "What are you doing?"

"Praying" she replied.

Confused, Kris asked; "At 3 a.m?"

"You don't understand. The devil is coming" she said tightly gripping the rosary in her hands.

"If you're worried about that bastard, I'll tell dad about it. He'll be home by..." Kris did not finish his sentence because his mom ignored him and faced the altar once again to continue praying. "Whatever" he said before going back to his room, forgetting about the water.

It has been a week since their mom was acting weird. She would always be seen holding the rosary, praying nervously. The dark circles under her eyes shows her lack of sleep and she always seems to spout incoherent words. They were worried about her but then again, were talking about their mom and she has always been this weird.

"Dear why do you looked so stressed? What's bothering you?" Their father asked. He just came back from a business trip. They were all eating dinner except Kris, he hasn't come home yet.

"The devil is back to retrieve what's his" she said staring blankly at the plate in front of her.

"What do you mean?" Her husband was confused. Gun was confused as well but he just continued eating his food silently.

She suddenly grabbed his husband's hand and held it tightly before looking him straight in the eyes in an eerie way. He was slightly taken aback with her action.

"Soon this family will be purified, free of sins and blasphemies. We will be worthy to receive the Lord" she said with a voice full of conviction before standing up and walking towards the altar. There she kneels again and started another prayer.

Gun and his father stared at each other in confusion. The older sighed before dropping his spoon and fork. He stood up and left his half eaten food on the table. Gun just watched him walk away. He continued eating his food, it was disrespectful for him to leave the blessings that God gave them.

***

The practice had already started when Plan arrived. He jogged towards Gun to apologize for being late.

"I understand Plan but we have rules to follow. Just do your laps now" Gun said looking at him sympathetically.

"But I've been here even before the practice starts. I was not late. I just left to buy foods" Plan was trying his hardest to convince their captain. Making sure to use his puppy eyes.

"Really?" Gun looked at him suspiciously before inhaling sharply. This guy knows his weakness. "Just do half of the penalty laps"

"Only half? Lets make it just 1 please" Plan's puppy eyes intensified.

"4" Gun avoided eye contact.

"2" Plan's still bargaining.

"Ok 3. Type is coming and he might double it so just go"

"Yes captain" Plan was smiling triumphantly. He was about to join the others on the field when Gun called him back.

"Im just curious, what business do you have with my brother and his friend?"

Plan hesitated before opening his mouth. "Its gamers stuff. You won't relate" he said before running towards the field.

"Why do I smell something fishy just happened here?" Type was eyeing Gun suspiciously as he was walking towards him.