XXVI. Vanilla

The pastor patted Gun's shoulder in a consoling manner before leaving the boy as he stares at his brother's grave.

Mark walked closer, but not close enough to give him space. He wanted Gun to feel that he's not alone but at the same time he doesn't want to be intruding.

Mark couldn't read the boy's facial expression and it just doesn't feel right because Gun had always been so transparent when it comes to his feelings. He was bad at hiding his emotions and lying. But its not like Mark wanted him to cry, of course he doesn't like seeing him in that situation, but this just feels off.

Mark felt that Gun was acting different from the moment he told him about Kris. Although he believed Gun when he said that he had to control his tears so it would be easier to sneak out. But Gun didn't cry when he successfully got out from the hospital, or when he first saw his brother inside the casket, or when he was being lowered six feet below the ground earlier, Gun did not shed any tears. He just stood there, staring coldly and not making any sound.

Suddenly, the rain started pouring making Mark think that maybe the heavens cried in behalf of Gun. Mark turned to look at the boy beside him and he wasn't sure if it was just the rain or Gun was actually crying because his facial expression didn't change at all. He was still staring coldly at his brother's grave as the water pours from above.

"We should go Phi, its getting cold and we might get sick." Mark stated before grabbing his hands. Gun just let the younger boy drag him to the car without saying anything.

The two were already drenched in water when they reached the car so Mark had put the AC on the lowest just for ventilation.

"Are you okay P'Gun?" Mark asked as he started driving the car, both of them were now feeling the cold. Gun just nodded as he gazed blankly on the window.

When the two arrived at Gun's house, Mark didn't waste any time to drag the boy upstairs to his room to dry off and change their wet clothes.

"P'Gun can I borrow this?" Mark asked as he excitedly waved the blue and white jersey in front of Gun's face. The older boy had already changed his clothes and was now drying his hair. And as his usual response, he just nodded.

Mark wore the shirt immediately and smiled to himself as he turned at the mirror to see Gun's surname embedded at the back. He then proceeded to plop down, sitting criss cross apple sauce on the bed just behind Gun and took the towel off of his hands before drying his hair for him. The boy did not protest, but he wasn't amused as well. He was just... sort of.... there. Not talking, and not showing any emotions. Just there... existing.

And Mark may appear insensitive with the way he smiles happily as he was drying Gun's hair knowing that the other boy was hurting, but trust me, he was also in so much pain. But by now, Mark was used to so much confusion, he was gradually becoming accustomed to it.

It was only just three in the afternoon but the sky was already dark. The heavy rain coupled with occasional thunder was like a strange yet comforting lullaby as the room was becoming so cold. And as the time went by, Gun was unconsciously drawn to Mark's warmth and he became comfortable enough to let his shivering body fall back onto Mark's strong chest. Soon, Gun was already fast asleep while the boy was still drying his hair.

A smile crept onto the younger boy's lips as his heart was engulfed with so much happiness and contentment. It was moments like this that makes everything so much worth it.

Mark stopped drying Gun's hair and he tossed the towel on the chair. He then put both of his arms around the older boy's waist and embraced him with so much care and affection.

Their position was quite uncomfortable, as Gun was practically sitting at the edge of the bed while Mark was sitting criscross behind him with nothing to lean on. But Mark didn't complain one bit, he loves it, he absolutely loved the feeling of being so close to Gun, of being so close to the person he cherished the most.