The Guy Who Gave Up His Jersey(26)

“I don’t fucking want you here anymore!” My mom screamed angrily at my father, as she threw his clothes out the door.

When we arrived back home things with our parents were rough, my mom and dad had gotten to another fight while we were away. I should’ve been used to it; I could’ve ignored it, but when my mother spat those words out my heart shattered.

“We are getting a divorce!” She yelled, slamming the door shut.

Xavier and I glared at her, what the hell was she saying? They were divorcing each other? Has she lost her damn mind, didn’t she know that a divorce would destroy Xavier and I. She gave us a quick look before storming down the hall.

“Mom!” I screamed after her.

She sucked in a deep breathe getting ready to face our raft. “What they hell are you talking about?” I demanded. “You and dad can’t get a divorce!”

She turned around sighing. “Juliana I know right now you don’t under-“

“I don’t understand? Mom you can’t do this to me!” I cried out.

“Julie you have to understand your father and I won’t work out any longer. I don’t want to be in a marriage where I feel as if I am single,” She snapped at me.

I understood that she felt alone and angry, but why was she doing this? My real father never was around and when I finally got the chance to have one she decides to take him away from me. She couldn’t see how much it would affect me if I had someone else walk out of my life.

“And I don’t want to grow up again without a dad,” I muttered.

She tried hugging me but I pushed her away from me, the last thing I wanted was to be near her. Xavier pulled me away from her, he hadn’t said anything since mom had kicked dad out of the house.

“Mom, I think maybe it’s best if Juliana and I stay at the safe house.” He told her quietly.

“What? Why?” She demanded.

“Because I don’t want to be here and she doesn’t either.” He simply told her.

Her bottom lip trembled and her eyes watered; she tried her best to fight the tears, but they managed to spill anyway. She didn’t tell us anything else; she just turned her back at us and rushed in her room.

Xavier glanced down at me, giving me a small sad smile. “Go pack some clothes.” He whispered, giving me a kiss on the forehead.

I nodded listening to his order I went upstairs and packed some clothes in my duffle bag. I had managed not to break down completely, but my chest ached. Any minute now I would fall apart completely.  Xavier knocked on my door telling me if I was ready to go. In silence we left the house not saying another word to my mom or to each other.