hit & run

The only sound Scott could hear was that of Cassie's laughter, drawing a bright smile onto his own face. Their fought of pillows and blankets had collapsed and Scott was very much convinced he could fix it. Propping up one side only for the other to collapse in on them repeatedly.

"I don't think it's working, Daddy..." she'd laughed, offering little by way of assistance as she crawled out from under the collapsed den while Scott flopped on his back, defeated, allowing the pile of soft furnishings to fall down on top of him.

A moment later, his phone began to ring prompting Scott to begin attempting to free himself of the tangled mess he'd created. "Peanut. That's probably Hope, can you pass me my phone?" he asked, struggling.

"I'll answer it Daddy" Cassie answered, easily skipping across the room to pluck his phone from his jacket pocket.

By the time Scott had managed to get out from under the tangle of blankets, Cassie had a frown on her face as she spoke on the phone. Scott was beginning to think it was Hope telling them she wouldn't be able to make it tonight, at least until Cassie passed him the phone and said "It's not Hope, Dad..."

Scott waited impatiently for Maggie and Paxton to arrive. The conversation he'd just had playing on a loop in his mind.

"Mr Lang?"

"Speaking. Who is this?"

"My name is Dr Francis. I'm calling at the request of Henry Pym from UCSF Medical Centre"

"Henry-"

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this, Mr Lang. But there's been an accident..."

An accident... But if they were calling on behalf of Hank...
And that's when the panic had set in.

Maggie arrived a short while later to collect Cassie, who'd sat silently, watching her Dad pace nervously for the past fifteen minutes since he'd hung up the phone.

"Paxton is waiting outside, he's going to take you to the hospital" Maggie told Scott, ignoring his protests. "You are in no fit state to drive, Scott. Go" she insisted, offering him a slightly sad, reassuring smile as she held onto Cassie. She passed Scott his jacket, phone and keys as he left, requesting he phone her as soon as he had any news.

The drive to the hospital was mostly silent. Scott had no details. An 'accident' could mean anything... It had been a Doctor on the phone. Not Hank, not Janet, not Hope... That probably meant it was bad... Scott couldn't keep his mind from straying to the darkest possible places, no matter how much he fought it.

He made his way through the busy waiting room in the Emergency Department, both eager to finally find out what had happened and dreading the bad news he was certain was heading his way. The crowded area was crammed with people, but it didn't escape Scott's notice that among the ill and injured were a group of Police...

Scott approached the desk, finding a young nurse typing away at a computer. "Excuse me- I had a phone call from Dr Frankie- Dr Franklin? No, Dr Francis..." he stammered, trying to remember exactly what had been said.

"Mr Lang?"

Scott turned to see an older woman with a friendly smile and short, curly hair greying slightly. She stood with an unreadable face in her scrubs and white coat, clearing waiting specifically for him. He nodded at his name, feeling suddenly numb, and she indicated for him to follow her.

"I'm sorry about the phone call, but Mr Pym insisted you be informed-"

"Doctor"

"Yes?"

"It's Doctor Pym, not Mr..." Scott informed, surprised at both the fact Hank hadn't corrected her and why he found it important at that moment. She nodded in a silent acknowledgement and lead him down the hallway.