like mother like daughter

"I'm running late, something came up. Can you pick Cassie up?" Hope was working on the lab when her phone buzzed. She quickly replied.

"Of course, I'll bring her home, Hank will be so pleased to have her here" she smiled. It had turned into a routine since Scott and she went back together; whenever Scott had Cassie, they would go to pick her up from school, take her to the park and spend the evening together when she didn't have homework.

And since Maggie and Paxton were on their honeymoon, Hope and Cassie had spent a fair amount of time together lately; not that neither of them would complain though, they've grown so close. Cassie loved Hope so much; she even called her mom the previous night while Hope was tucking her in bed. Hope associated it with the fact that Cassie was almost asleep, but she loved the thought of it. Even though Cassie already had a mom, she'd hinted to both her and Scott that she very much liked having two, and since Maggie didn't have any problems with it, Hope had started behaving more like a mother and less like a friend to Cassie.

They were both delighted with each other. But Hope still hasn't verbalised it. Scott didn't even know that Cassie called her mom the previous night.

But that was another day's problem. She had to get ready to go pick Cassie up, so Hope left the lab, got into her everyday clothes and left the house.

She arrived early to Cassie's primary school, so she decided to park her car and get into the school so Cassie would see her right away.

She saw a group of people, sitting under a roof and chatting vividly. Not wanting to interrupt, she stood a few meters away from them, right next to the main entrance to the building.

A few minutes had passed when two moms approached her.

"Uhm, excuse me" Hope turned to face them "yeah, hi, I'm Mary Howards, the president of the school's parents committee. Do you have a child studying here? I don't remember you from any of our reunions" she asked in an inquisitive way.

Hope looked at the women standing in front of them not liking them at all. She didn't really have to give any explanations to why she was here, but wouldn't it be weird otherwise?

"Hi, uhm yeah I have my... uhm, my-" before she could think about what to say her phone started ringing. "Oh, if you'll excuse me"

They smiled at her with the fakest of smiles and Hope walked a few steps away from them, feeling the two moms listen curious.

"No, that's not what the contract stated. Yes, I'm kind of busy right now, but tell Mrs Harrison that my company it's not going to work with them without getting all the information about those papers he signed during last year's incident." As she spoke, the school's ring started to sound "Listen, Mark, I have to pick Cassie up from school but tomorrow I'll go to the office and check those forms myself. Yeah, thank you Mark. Bye"

Hope put her phone away and started searching for Cassie.

She then saw a small figure that she recognised at the moment. But when she saw her, Hope's expression changed. Cassie was crying.

She quickly approached her and called her name.

"Hey, Cassie!" Hope called her and Cassie turned to look at her, sprinting to her as soon as she recognised her.

"Hope" Cassie jumped into her arms and started crying again.

"Hey, hey, honey what happened? Are you hurt?" Hope checked her up and down, still carrying her in her arms, Cassie was holding her tight.

Cassie stayed silent while Hope caressed her hair. A few minutes later, Cassie looked up at Hope's face.

"Jack Howards insulted us when Sophie and I asked if we could play with them. He said that we were just stupid little girls and that we should go back to play dolls with our moms because that's the only thing we can do with our small brains" Cassie sniffed.