you can do it

"You can do it Hope!"

Her mother gave her an encouraging smile. 5-year-old Hope Pym stood bended towards the dining table, with full concentration, her gaze locked on to the ants crawling on the table. Her father had finally gave her the green light to use the ear piece, and she was determined to not let him down. She was trying to command the four ants to lift up a coin, but to no avail. Multiple attempts only saw an ant trying to carry the coin, while the others just strayed around.

She frowned. Dark green eyes burned with frustration.

"You need to clear your head, jellybean. Focus and think of what you want the ants to do.", her mom said, rubbing her small back, smiling. She knew that her daughter was not one to give up easily. Hope had a fierce determination coarsing through her, even at a tender age.

"Mommy, I can't.", she pouted, arms crossed.

"Yes you can.", said her father, who emerged from the living room. "Try again.", he smiled, putting his hand around her shoulder. His daughter always showed preserverance plus she was intelligent and curious. He was glad that they could now bond over 'ants'.

Hope clenched her teeth, and focused intently. She had always begged her father to let her talk to the ants ever since she saw him doing it and she wasn't going to give up, not now. This was it.

And sure enough, one by one, the ants lifted the coin off the table, and dropped it into a coin jar.

"I did it mommy! Did you see that daddy?", Hope grinned widely, eyes twinkling with joy.

"Yes you did it jellybean!", Janet beamed at her proudly. Hank smiled, as he tried to ignore the tiny fear that was creeping deep down, a fear that he would come to understand in the future.

A little girl laid curled up on her bed, tears silently streaming down her face, while she listened to the pitter patter of the light rain outside her window. The dark, cloudy sky was as gloomy as her current emotional state.

Today was her mother's funeral.

She missed her and she ached for her, badly.

Hope could hear the faint voices of people downstairs, talking and whispering. Relatives, friends, and co-workers who had attended the funeral. She was tired of them telling her they were sorry for her loss and so she escaped to her room, for solitude. They could never understand the pain she was going through, and whatever they said to her did nothing to make her feel better.

Even at 7-years-old, Hope was wise for her age. Ever since her father solemnly told her that her mother was gone, she just couldn't comprehend, and her father gave no answers to her pressing questions about her mother.

Hope knew that there was no body in the casket. Did she disappear? Did she leave? Why would she leave her? She was supposed to come back. She promised. A million questions rose from her mind. Every day, she imagined that her mother would magically appear at their doorstep, telling her it was all alright, that she's back home. But, it never happened.

She was drowned in her thoughts when she heard a knock at her bedroom door.

"Hope..."

A woman's voice.

"It's aunt Peggy. I'm coming in.", said Peggy Carter as she turned the door knob. Peggy noticed Hope's absence from the crowd of people downstairs and came to check on her. Hope didn't budge from her bed. She had stopped crying but her cheeks were smudged with dried tears. She adored her aunt Peggy but she just couldn't muster up her energy to look at her.

"Oh sweetheart...", Peggy sighed. She sat on Hope's bed and pulled her into her arms, caressing her hair. She treated Hope like her daughter. Peggy Carter and Janet Van Dyne were close, as close as sisters, and her untimely death devastated her. She knew the truth of her death of course, and felt as guilty as Hank did.