can we catch our breath

"Hey Dave, what do you think?" asked Luis turning his desktop to Dave. Dave narrowed his eyes, thinking hard.

"I don't know man... you gotta show me more options," replied Dave. Luis sighed. Kurt and Scott had zoned out of whatever they were talking and working at their respective desks.

"Okay man," he turned his desktop to him and opened another page. "This one? This one has to be the one, man" Dave scrutinized the image in front of him as Luis looked at him with baited breath. Dave looked at him then the image.

"This is the one," declared Dave.

"Oh yeah, baby!" cried Luis, standing up. "This Saturday is going to be the bomb!" Scott, after yawning, turned to Luis.

"Why? What's this Saturday?" he asked. Luis turned the screen to himself. Scott glanced at it. "What are you two looking at?" he asked striding to Luis' desk.

"Nothing, Scottie," Luis reached for the mouse.

"Whoa, whoa, let me see!" he said grabbing the monitor. He looked at the screen to see that Luis was online shopping for suits. He turned to Luis. "Seriously Luis? When we are working? I know you have a thing for online shopping but-"

"Scottie-"

"-these are work hours man. Shouldn't you be making a rough model for-"

"Scottie!"

"What?!"

"I have to buy this. I have a thing on Saturday."

"What? What do you have on Saturday?"

"Luis has date," said Kurt, without turning to look at them. Scott's expression changed and he smirked at Luis.

"Oh really?" Luis nodded excitedly. Scott was about to ask something when Dave interrupted.

"Also this ain't the work hours, man. It's lunch time," he said with a shrug. Scott looked at his wrist watch.

"It's lunch time already?" Scott said, surprised. "Oh, I've to pack up. I'm having lunch with Hope," he said running around the office, collecting paper work that was lying around. "And when I come back, you have to tell me everything, Luis."

There was a knock on the door and a face peeped in. "Hey, Scott," Hope greeted him.

"Oh hey Hope," Scott dropped everything he was doing and beamed widely. He walked up to her and ushered her in. he turned to go back to his desk, still smiling at her which caused him to collide with his desk and knock a cup off in the process. He quickly turned and caught it, sighing. What an idiot, thought Hope. I missed him. She had shown up in her work clothes, her hair up in a ponytail. They had been through a lot since the Sokovia Accords: their break up, the house arrest, Hope and Hank hiding, the Quantum tunnel, her mother coming back. It had been a roller coaster. Now finally, they were more than glad to embrace some normalcy that life had offered them.

"Hey guys," Hope greeted the other three and they all waved back. "Ready to go, Scott?" she asked. Scott was writing down something on a blueprint. He nodded, engrossed.

"Yeah, done," he said and turned to Hope. "Let's go."

***

Scott suggested a good diner for a casual lunch although both of them were very much aware that this was the first official date since them getting back together. It didn't take long for the food to arrive and they started chatting.

"So, how's Hank and Janet?"

"They are doing really well. They got themselves a beach house. Really living the brief retirement, you know," she said, before biting into her burger. She gulped it down. "How's Cassie?"

"She's wonderful. She's doing great in gym class. Her teachers won't stop talking about it," he said, smiling.

"I'm so proud," she said. "And what about-?" he interrupted her.

"I've missed you so much. I'm so glad that we're giving this another try. Hope, you mean so much to me." Hope gasped at his sudden confession and then smiled softly, taking his hand.

"Not one for subtlety, are we?"

"Not really. No." Scott brushed his thumb along her knuckles and smiled timidly.

"Scott, I-" Scott's phone rang. It was Luis. Scott sighed and cut the call.

"Right. You were saying?" Hope licked her lips tentatively and was about to start talking when his phone rang. He looked at the screen to see that it was Luis again. He cut it again. "He gets the hint at the second call, trust me. You were saying?"

"It's been a while" she was interrupted by Scott's phone again. She pursed her lips and said, "Take it"

"I don't want to,"

"Just do it," she said, putting the phone on speaker. Scott rolled his eyes the moment he realised what she had done.

"What is it Luis?" he asked wearily.

"He-hey scotty. I know you are with ya girl and I didn't want to disturb but we have a situation here,"

"What?" Scott asked, his ears sharpened when he heard the Dave muttering something in the background. He and Hope exchanged looks. "What is it Luis?!"

"There's this package with your name on it,"

"What? I didn't order anything,"

"Yeah man, I know. The delivery guy just said it's for you and left." Alarmed, Scott looked up at Hope. Hope spoke up.

"How big is the package Luis?"

"It's uh- about as big as a Frisbee," Luis replied.

"Is it too heavy?" Scott asked.

"Not too much."

"Open it," ordered Hope.

"Yes ma'am" Luis removed fumbled to remove the tape when Dave could be heard talking to Kurt. "Hold on Scottie," Luis said, putting the phone on hold. A few moments later Luis spoke through the phone, "Hey Scottie?"

"Yes Luis. What's in the package?"

"It's a neck pillow," Luis said in a low voice.

"What?" said Scott as Hope face palmed.

"It's Kurt's neck pillow,"

"So you called me for a neck pillow. Also, since when is Kurt using MY card to order things online-"

"Alright Scottie we need to go. It's urgent. We gotta go" he hung up.

"Hey, Luis!" Scott rolled his eyes and Hops smiled. To think she had gotten used to such moments with him and his friends and that she even missed them for the past two years.

"It's okay Scott," she said. "You were saying something?" at that Scott's expression softened.

"Right- I am sorry... about a lot of things"

"You don't have to apologize anymore Scott. Just... please never do that again." He held her hand.

"Wouldn't even think about it," he said and kissed her hand. Their smiles brightened the whole diner. Hope's phone buzzed.

"It's dad," she opened the message. "He wants me in the lab. I have to go,"

"Not so soon," groaned Scott.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, gathering her things sighing. Scott shrugged.

"When can we meet again?"

"Why don't you come over tomorrow morning to work out? I hope you maintained your form during house arrest."

"Alright, when?"

"Six." Scott sighed dramatically.

"Oh the things I do for you, Hope," she chuckled and kissed him on the cheek before taking off.