first time

The first time was about Cassie.

The first time he went subatomic, it was to save Cassie's life. He hadn't been scared at all, then. He had expected going subatomic would kill him, and as long as Cassie was okay, he accepted that.

But he didn't die. He was immortal as long as he was in the Quantum Realm, shrinking endlessly through the hellish environment. With massive luck, he found his way out of the Quantum Realm, and continued with his life. But this was completely different.

This time, nobody's life would immediately end if he didn't go into the Quantum Realm. They needed healing particles for Ava, but Hope or Hank could go to get them too, if he didn't want to. But he had offered to get the particles without a second thought, and now he was trapped in one little corner of the Quantum Realm. No longer shrinking, he didn't even get the blessing of his surroundings changing, to remind him he was still alive at all. But the biggest difference was about Hope.

The first time had been about Cassie. The second time was about Hope. He was still thinking about Cassie, of course. He was deeply worried for her, but right now Hope Van Dyne filled his mind.

Hope was supposed to bring him out, but she hadn't. Her end of the radio communication was completely silent, too. Something must have happened to her, she wouldn't just leave him here. Was there an earthquake? Had she been arrested? Had she just died? He didn't know, and that was killing him in a place where he was supposed to be immortal.