sleepover

"A sleepover?" Hope said, wondering, for a moment if she was a grown woman talking to a grown man. "Like with sleeping bags and popcorn and pillow fights and painting nails and..."

She heard Scott chuckling on the other end of the line. He added: "And making cupcakes and watching movies and playing Rock Band and making costumes for role p-play acting."

Hope's voice, which was edging toward excitement, lowered again questioning: "Playacting?"

"Yeah, you know," he answered, not breaking stride. "Like charades, but with costumes."

"Why would anyone play charades in costume, Scott? Wouldn't it defeat the purpose?"

"Okay, fine," he replied, energetically. "I see what you mean. Not charades, then. More like theatre games, but for a specific film or tv show. Like Star Wars or Beauty and the Beast. Cassie loves it. So do I. And, so will you. That's if we even get to it. Sounds like you are more into the pillow fighting, anyway."

She heard the lilt in his voice. "Simmer down. Your daughter will be there, remember. I imagine this entire event is for her benefit."

"Not exactly," he replied, ruefully. "I know this gir-woman who never had the opportunity for a sleepover. She's kind of hard-nosed from being deprived of fun for most of her life. If you ask me, she could use an opportunity to let her hair down and her inner child out to play."

"Who says I never-"

"-Just say yes and don't over think it," Scott cut in with finality.

She remained silent a few seconds, letting him sweat, but when she heard the dial tone, she knew he had gotten the better of her. She smiled in admiration.

Later that night...

Throw pillows and pillows from all bedrooms and closets had been intricately placed into a quilt-like rectangle in Scott's living room. He and Hope sat feet to feet with cotton balls separating their twenty respective toes. The artist formerly known as Cassie put the finishing touches on the painted phalanges, adding a small jewel to each one.

"Are they done yet?" her dad asked, desperately wanting to wiggle his toes, which his daughter had so insistently demanded remain still during the process.

"Done!" she exclaimed after placing the last jewel on Scott's little toe. She had painted every other foot, switching back and forth from her dad to Hope. She did the same with the jewels. "Voila!"

Hope examined her toes and was pleasantly surprised by Cassie's steady hand and attention to detail. As she looked to Scott's toes, she noticed a more of a haphazard result, which was not Cassie's fault, but the result of her father's fidgeting.

"Your daddy really needs to learn to sit still, doesn't he?" Hope said, winking and nodding conspiratorially.

"For real!" the ten year old agreed, enthusiastically, blowing on Hopes toes.

"Oh, you think, I need to sit still, do you?" Scott said, his voice lowering into a villainous growl. He turn to his right lifting his feet into the air and spinning his bottom, reaching out to grab her and throw her over his lap. While it appeared that he swat her bottom, playfully, he grabbed her left foot and bent it back toward him. "Let's see how you fair against the Toesies Tickle Troll!"

Cassie shrieked in fake distress. "Not the Tickle Troll! Anything but the tickle troll?"

Hope looked on uncertainly. It wasn't the first time she's witnessed something like this, but it was the first time she questioned if she should join in.

"I will torture you with tickles before I gobble up your pretty little toes!" Scott continued in troll voice, turning his gaze to Hope. "And, no one can stop me! Mu ah ah ah!"