the heart of a young avenger

For as long as Cassandra Eleanor Lang can remember her parents have been divorced. It was a fact of life, and for the most part, she was okay with it. For the majority of her life, her parents were good friends. She had two of the best people as step-parental figures, that loved her as much as they loved their respective partners. She had a family that wasn't biological but loved her just the same. Cassie Lang had it pretty good.

However, that didn't mean she didn't learn to work the divorced parents' system to her benefit. Telling Dad that Mom had said she could have extra dessert at their Friday movie night, or Mom that Dad had said she could spend the day at her friend's after their soccer match. One of the downfalls of her parents being on such good terms meant that she got caught, more often than not. But Cassie Lang was nothing if not persistent and determined, and overtime had nearly perfected the method of getting exactly what she wanted. And now, more than anything, Cassandra Eleanor Lang wanted to be an Avenger, like her Dad and Hope. She happened to know just the right people to make that possible.

The best way to accomplish a blindside was to ask for small, seemingly unconnected things that played into something her parents wanted for her. And Cassie Lang had the perfect three-step plan ready to put in motion.

Phase 1: Hope Van Dyne

Cinderella had never been Cassie's favorite Disney movie; but even with its preparations for the worst to expect in a step-mother, Cassie was never worried about Hope in the role. She knew from the very beginning that she was one of luckiest kid's in the world when it came to parents, both biological and step. Hope Van Dyne was the perfect addition to the Cassie Parent Squad, as her Dad called it.

However, she knew Hope was originally not confident she would fit the role. She could still picture the day she first met Hope perfectly in her mind, only a few short weeks after her Dad had battled Yellow Jacket in her bedroom. She had been spending more time with her Dad, but this wasn't a planned visit. Paxton was stuck on a case, and her mother had to go to work when her normal babysitter called sick with the flu.

"Scott," Maggie said relieved when he picked up the phone, "Thank goodness, are you around? Cassie's babysitter is sick and I need to go to work. Can you take her today?"

"Of course!" Scott's excited voice came through the phone, "I'd love to have Cassie today," There was a slight pause, "I... I'm supposed to meet Hope in an hour."

"Hope?" Maggie wracked her brain for why that name sounded familiar.

"Hope Van Dyne," Scott said with fondness in his voice, "CEO of Pym Tech. We've been spending some time together lately." The name clicked in Maggie's head, remembering her from the story Scott told her and Paxton after things had settled down.

Maggie smiled, happy for Scott that he seemed to be getting all aspects of his life together, "Oh, that's fine with me."

There was a pause on the other end of the line, "Really?"

"Really, see you in a bit?"

"Yeah, I'm on my way."

Scott had picked Cassie up, all smiles and laughter as he loaded her into the car, "A day with you is the best surprise, Peanut!"

"What are we going to do, Daddy?"

He knelt down, eye-level to the girl, "I thought we could go meet my friend, Hope. Would that be okay?"

"Yeah!" She kicked her legs excitedly as Scott climbed into the driver's seat, heading toward Pym Technologies.

-----

Pym Technologies was under massive renovations, a necessary consequence of a military tank driving out the side of a building. Cassie held Scott's hand as he led her into the large, sterile building. Even under construction, it was impressive, and Cassie stared wide-eyed as Scott led her over to the front desk.