forever a family - part two

Bright rays shone into Scott's room, effectively waking him up. With his eyes closed, he felt around for Hope, but all that was left was a warm spot. He got up, rubbing his eyes as he got used to the light.

He strode down the stairs, following the sound of the light rattling of pans to the kitchen. Hope was there, as well as Cassie, flipping pancakes on the stove. Cassie wore her pyjamas, while Hope wore a light grey sweater. His daughter stood on a stool so she could watch as Hope flipped the pancakes, revealing a golden brown side. A big stack of pancakes was on the left of the stove, piling higher and higher. He stood there, under the kitchen doorway, watching Hope and Cassie cook together. A pang of warmth spread through him, something so domestic, so unusual, something that he knew he wanted to wake up to every day. It was something he didn't know he longed for, something that he had wanted to be for him and Maggie and Cassie, but even through the ups and downs, he had ended up with someone better. Someone that suited him more, something that cared for him (not that Maggie didn't, it was just that there was so much more between himself and Hope), someone that would watch his back, on and off the field. Someone that gave him second chances, which was rare, considering his criminal background.

He crept up behind his daughter, kissing her head.

"Ah!" Cassie yelled, jumping up.

"Morning Peanut."

"Dad! We made pancakes! I made this one for you!" She shows her dad a plate with a pancake made into the shape of an ant, and he couldn't help but smile because of how proud he was.

"Morning Scott," said Hope, turning around to give him a kiss.

"Morning Hope," Scott replied. He could get used to this.

He sat down at the kitchen counter, watching Hope and Cassie work side by side, their shoulders occasionally brushing. So many flips of pancakes later, the stove turned off. Hope and Cassie each held one plate of pancakes; Cassie's one piling up to almost pass her eyes. She almost tripped, sliding the plate across the table.

"Sorry, dad." She cringed.

"It's ok, Peanut."

They each plopped a pancake onto their plates, each with their own combination of condiments, fruits, and various other things. Cassie had a cut up banana arranged in a circle around her pancake, with a little slab of butter in the middle. She took the bear-shaped container of maple syrup and squeezed some out, the syrup spilling over the pancake and spreading out the butter. Scott had the ant-shaped pancake, had put chocolate chips all over the entire pancake. He then put an inhumane amount of whipped cream to top the chocolate chips.

Hope disapprovingly shook her head. She couldn't believe that even his eating habits would be like a little six-year-old kid. She took a tiny bit of butter, spread it evenly over her pancake, and put a small dollop of Nutella over it.

Cassie dug into her own pancake, watching her dad and his girlfriend.

Scott took the whipped cream can, and sprayed it all over Hope's pancake. It created a mountain; which Hope just stared at in shock. It was more whipped cream compared to Scott's.

Scott, noticing Hope's countenance said: "Hope, come on. Loosen up. I know you want to try it."

Hope, decided to go with the little kid that was buried deep inside her, cut a slice of the pancake, topped with all the sweet toppings, placed it in her mouth using her fork.

"Okay, okay. Fine. It's good." said Hope, turning the fork over and over in her fingers.

"See? I told you!"