mending hearts

It was nightfall as Hope laid on the comfort of her own bed, in her childhood bedroom. After abandoning their house as it was searched by the FBI, her father had miraculously and secretly shrank their house, and now their house was placed by a remote, secluded beach side. She was unable to fall asleep, after the chaotic events in the past two days, adrenaline still coursing through her body. She spent the whole day catching up with her mother, sharing stories with each other, while her father sat by their side the entire time, contented with having his whole family back. But now as she lay awake, her mind drifted towards Scott, the man who she had not seen for the past two years but who had never left her heart. Suddenly, she wanted to see him, desperately and badly. She turned to her side, covered a pillow over her head and let out a loud sigh.

They had parted ways hastily after the events that had happened. Him, back to his house before the FBI arrived, and her, back on the run again with her parents. It bothered her that they never got to say goodbye properly and she wondered if he had managed to get home in time. Once again, she delved into her feelings for him, thinking long and hard. When she had found out about his little adventure in Germany, all she felt was an array of emotions. She was furious that he took the suit without her knowledge, furious that he acted impulsively and irrationally, but at the same time, she was more upset and disappointed that it didn't cross his mind to ask her to be his partner in the fight, that he didn't think about her or even his daughter. At that time, he was already imprisoned at The Raft, sorting out the terms and conditions with the national security for his release while she was already on the run with her father, building up protective walls again, pushing aside any romantic feelings that she had felt for him.

After two years of radio silence, receiving the emergency phone call from him had been unexpected, and had thrown her emotions off balance once again. Seeing him in person, had only confirmed her affection for him, that she had genuinely missed him. Overwhelmed with her emotional turmoil, she sat up on her bed abruptly, the desire to see him right now burning within her. And so she put on her suit, and flew off into the darkness, heading towards his house.

The lights were still on in his bedroom as she landed on the window sill, so she stood there, observing him. He was standing in front of the mirror, half-naked, inspecting his injuries. There was a cut at the side of his right chest that he had sustained during his fight with Ava. He turned around, his eyes sweeping through the bruises that were now forming on his back, and she noticed a long scar near his shoulder blade, a scar she had never seen before. She was however, relieved that his ankle monitor had been taken off. She flew in the room, and with the press of a button, she grew back to her normal size. "Hey. You need help there?"

"Jesus! Hope!", he exclaimed, nearly jumping out of his skin as he heard the mechanical whirring of her suit turning back to size and her voice. He turned around to look at her. "You scared the shit out of me.", his eyes widened with fright.

"Sorry.", she apologised and shrugged her shoulders, she bit her lip as she smiled sheepishly.

He smiled, his composure relaxed as he stared at her, her presence giving him a sense of comfort. His gaze fell on her temple where a bruise was starting to form. "Are you okay?", he voiced his concern as he scurried to her side, squinting his eyes and gently held her chin, tilting her face sideways, examining her injury. His gesture so natural that she was surprised that she didn't flinch at his touch.

"I'm fine. It's just a bruise.", she brushed it off, although moved by his concern. To be honest, she was starting to feel the aches and pains from the fight, but she had spent some time examining herself for injuries in the shower, and it was nothing she couldn't handle.

"Are you hurt anywhere else?", he scanned through her but it was hard to figure out while she was in her suit. It had been a rough two days. It scared him to death when she almost got knocked over by the Quantum vessel during her fight with Ava and he couldn't bear to think of the consequences if it really did. "Maybe you should take the suit off so I could have a better look...", he trailed off as he noticed she was staring at him suspiciously, eyebrows raised. "No, no, that's not what I mean, I mean maybe I could help to tend to your injuries, if you let me.", he gestured frantically, explaining his intentions.