a moment's notice

Scott rolled the window down, letting Hank see him from the driver's seat of the car.

Hank came forward, poking his head in through the window. "Where's Hope?" He scanned the back of the car, searching for his daughter who was supposed to pick him up.

"She and Janet had to so some last minute Christmas shopping. They sent me." Scott grinned proudly and Hank looked at him a little reluctantly.

"Aw, come on," said Scott, dropping the grin. "I know I'm not nearly as good looking as Janet or as lovely as Hope, but I am around. And you can't drive when you're still on those meds." Scott shook his hands to emphasize the side effects of Hank's medication.

Hank sighed and got in the front seat.

"Yes!" cheered Scott, pressing the horn of his van as he pulled out the driveway of the hospital. The loud trumpet sounds made Hank wince.

They headed out into the road and Scott pulled the red lever, automatically shrinking the van and avoiding the traffic up ahead.

"Whoa, when did this happen?" asked Hank, referring to the change in size. He didn't know that Scott's van could shrink.

And he should know. He alone had the technology to do that.

"Oh, Janet set it up."

Hank wasn't sure he heard it right. "She set it up?"

"Okay, I asked nicely," Scott corrected, "And she gladly set it up."

"Why didn't you ask me?"

Scott fidgeted in his head and avoided looking at the older man's direction. "Well, you weren't around then."

"Where was I?"

"In the lab."

"You mean in the basement? You were up in the kitchen schmoozing my wife while I was in the basement and you couldn't be bothered to take the walk down the stairs to ask me?" It was literally just five steps. How could he not take the five steps and ask?

Scott at least had the decency to look ashamed. "We were in the garage, actually. She said it was okay! And you know, I figured as Ant-Man I should have a shrinkable car, right?"

Hank grumbled but didn't reply. He couldn't very well complain when it was Janet who did it.

"So, how was your checkup?" asked Scott, trying to turn things on a lighter tone. "Everything working?"

Hank kept his eyes on the road. "I got until tonight to continue on these damn pills and then I'm rid of them."

"Great! So, heart's all good? You're not gonna go into cardiac arrest or anything are you?"

Hank smiled at the show of concern. "I'm fine, Scott. I'm healthy."

"Good, good, good," said Scott, "Cause, um, I lied. Hope didn't really ask me to pick you up. I, uh, I offered."

Hank raised an interested brow and looked at Scott. "You offered?" That was interesting.

"Yeah. I... I wanted to talk to you without the girls hearing."

"About?"

"Proposing."

"I'm really flattered, Scott, but I'm happily married."

"Ha ha," Scott said dryly. "I mean about Hope. I'm gonna ask her to marry me and I wanted to tell you about it first. Because as a dad, I'd want to know if Cassie's boyfriend was gonna propose. I mean, I don't wanna be caught off-guard like a deer in headlights."