Stray Dogs

Zakuro's panicked state drew the other ones in, we all stood before him with questioning looks to why it is bad that he couldn't find him, but I knew better than that what it meant.

"We've gotta find him, right now!" Screaming from top of my lungs, I wanted to dash out with the stealth player, but Anya catched my wrist, confused about why we had to find him so urgently.

"Wait! Why is it so important that you find this guy in the first place, huh? He's probably just exploring again." His grip was a little to tight for comfort, though he knew that if it was any looser than that, (Y/N) would pull herself out of it and just run away from them all.

"No, I don't think that's the case this time! So please! Let Oshigiri-San and me look for him!" I wriggled around, the others must have been so surprised to see me this worried, this scared and about the volume I spoke in, it didn't suited me right now.

"(Y/N)-Chan," a warm hand was placed on my head, stopping me from struggling around. "let's find him together. But it would be nice if both of you could explain why the two of you are so flustered." Akatsuki was talking in such a kind, gentle and reassuring voice that it calmed me down a little.

When I finally cooled down, I've tried to explain why we both were acting like this, "I don't know if that's alright to say but, when I helped Paca out with cleaning the dishes...I overheard the conversation from him and Oshigiri-San..." when my gaze met his, I saw the surprise reflected in them, but also that I should say everything else as well. "He said...he said that Onigasaki-San was the highest candidate for the 'White Room' and I, no we, believe that's exactly what happened."

Now everyone was wearing different kind of expressions, most of them probably trying to process the news about Kaikoku.

"Don't worry, let's go find Paca-San then and see for ourselves what's happening, okay?" It soothed me, that everyone understood the situation and wanted to help out. They really are nice people.

We all run down the halls to the elevator and went down to the floor we assumed he would come out. As time passed, my heart felt like it might tear apart, the thought that the group would miss a certain person meant for me that it would never be the same as before. Though Himiko and Akatsuki were so kind to hold my hand and squeeze it tight, the action alone was telling me that everything will be fine, that I have nothing to worry about. My gratitude about their act of kindness must have shown on my face, because they both faced the doors with newfound determination to where Paca would come out from hopefully.

'Paca is a kind person, I'm sure he will hear us out.'

When we saw that the little display showed that someone was ascending up, we knew now that he was coming and soon enough, he stood before us.

"Goodness me...it seems there's danger everywhere I turn..."

"You bast***...what'd you do to the oni guy?"

Paca thought for a moment to how he should answer Anya's question, "He's been penalized. Last night, Onigasaki-Sama violated the taboo once again. He trespassed onto the 51st floor and attacked me. He aimed for my throat using his katana, of course. And just now, he also bit my hand. A troublemaker like that would be an obstacle to the game going forward."

"...cut the crap!" Oshigiri chimed in, "You provoked him somehow, didn't you? I just warned him not to go anywhere alone. And yet..."

"...yes. Onigasaki-Sama certainly wasn't acting like himself. What in the world could've gotten him so out of sorts, I wonder...?" He looked over to someone, when I've gazed to where his eyes were looking, I saw Roromori standing next to the wall, avoiding his gaze completely. "In any case, from now on, we'll continue the livestream with 8 players. Since the 8th stage is outdoors, everyone please make your way-"

"No." They talked over him, surprising the whole group with this.

"I-iride-Sama. What did you just say...?"

"I said 'No'. I'm going on strike. Please give Kaikoku-San back. Until then, I won't participate in any games either."

"Me too! If this is how we're gonna play, than I won't be the obedient girl!!" At first, I didn't knew what to say, it felt like my mind was already accepting the fact about it, already saying 'if he said it's like that, we won't fight against it' but Akatsuki, the person who volunteered in any stage so far just said he won't play. He gave me the push to voice out my opinion too, for the first time, I feel like that I have a mind of my own!

"...Iride-Sama...(L/N)-Sama...Ah...you both...you both at least have always been so earnest about the games, and yet, what are you saying...?" Paca staggered to us, looking distressed like never before. "If you guys refuse to participate, I'll also have to send you two to the white room..."

"Great. Then please let us hang out with Kaikoku-San instead." He grasped my hand again, enveloping it with his warmth, while smiling his usual cheery smile to them. I as well stood my ground and squeezed his hand back, getting enough determination to show Paca a confident smile.

"If Akatsuki and (Y/N) ain't doing it, I ain't either." Anya stepped up, showing his displeased face to him, "I never gave a sh*t about following your rules from the get-go, anyway."

"I also refuse." Karin spoke up besides me, "Doing such a thing is too high-handed."

Because of his mask, I wasn't certain how he felt, nor did I knew what he was thinking about, but it seemed like that he was actually trying to find something to say or do.

"Alpaca-Kun. How about you postpone today's game for now. Everyone's considerably upset by what happened with Kai-San. With this mood, even if we do the game, I don't think you'll get the outcome you want. I also disapprove of this situation." Yuzu finally spoke up, she had the words that would convince him, I felt it inside me that he would understand our feelings and find a solution that everyone would approve.

Paca said he would think about our words and went inside the elevator again, leaving us all alone in the halls, hoping that our supervisor will give us back the guy who annoyed me the most from this group. When we went back to the cafeteria, we wanted to do something in the meantime, so that none of us would be plagued by bad thoughts.

"Akatsuki-Kun" he turned around for me, waiting that I would catch up to his side. "I just wanted to say thank you."

"Thank you for what?" His head bobbed to one side, looking kinda astounded for my sudden gratitude.

"If you hadn't said anything back then, I'm sure we would have gone into a different route. And also, you gave me the courage to voice my thoughts out. Thank you." Bowing my head low, I heard him panic around, that I don't need to do these things.

"Please (Y/N)-Chan! That's not something you have to thank me for. I believe that nothing in this world is not worth caring about." He suddenly invaded my personal space bubble to whisper something into my ear, "So please, let your voice inside your heart grow strong. I would love to hear everything it has to say." And with that, he left me alone standing there while he joined Anya and the others back.

Oh? Someone changed attitude real quick.

...

Hello?

...

You alive?

A loud thud and now I was laying on the carpet, guess he swept me off my feet.

——————————————————————————————————

AN: Let's bust Oni-Guy out of there!!