II

“I still feel fear,” Kimi whispered as he fiddled with the shirt in his hands and bit his top lip in concentration. All was silent as he rubbed against the name Qulture that was embroided on its collar.

The night was a mix between cold and warmth as Kimi brought the cloth to his nose and inhaled deeply—like the lingering scent could save him. He meditated on the scent and closed his eyes, waiting, clawing for the least solace, comfort and encouragement he could find in the scent.

“I still feel fear,” he whispered as he dropped the cloth. “I saw those eyes. They still haunt me. Why did I ever return to this city?” He held his head in his hands. “If only you’re here then this fu—”

Barks filled the silent night and it drew Kimi to the window. The barks increased as dogs rattled violently in their kennels. Fear coursed through him as he spotted a hooded figure that treaded slowly down the street. He hid behind the shadows of his curtain as the figure tilted his head towards his house.

It was like he was drenched in ice water that numbed him as Kimi blinked in confusion, his memory blurring like scraped paint.

“What...” He held his head and moaned in pain. “I... I was...” He peered up at the walk clock that ticked silently. “Midnight.” He struggled to control his fastened breathing, but then he rushed back to his bed and covered his face with the cloth. “I still feel fear. I still feel fear. I still feel fear.”

Facing our fear is a part of our fears, a voice rang in his ear. But we have to know it, feel it, in order to face it. We are the embodiment of our fears. Its

“—in our mind.” Kimi dragged out an exhale and squeezed his eyes shut. “Face your fears because it makes you stronger.” Kimi opened his eyes and studied the various posters of Qulture that lined the walls of his bedroom. “Fear makes me stronger.”

He leaned over his bed towards the bedside table and collected his phone together with the ear bud that was connected to it. He switched on his phone and tapped the music icon. The phone’s light glared at him and he squinted his eyes as he played the only playlist on his phone; it was titled QULTURE. Kimi fixed the ear bud in his ears and was embraced by the calm tunes.

“I still feel fear. I still feel fear. I still feel fear...” He chanted his words of encouragement, whispering them into the hollow night.

Facing our fear is a part of our fears.

*

Kimi’s walk to school was brisk, his head hooded and his grip on the straps of his bag firm. The warm breeze swayed through the trees as students and workers buzzed into the school’s building. As Kimi stepped into the school he was greeted by liveliness and grossed stares.

“Fuck!” hissed a boy in Hindi as he flagged his jacket around. “I can’t find it.” He swept ashen hair out of his face with a tight fist.

The fair boy that was stood behind him rolled his eyes. “Calm down.” He slapped the back of his companion’s head. “Check the gatehouse you nimrod,” he said in a flat tone.