XIX

It was clear that everyone was extremely exhausted, and they didn’t have any reserved strength to put up with more emotional bursts. And they weren’t even close enough to Kimi to talk to him. In the end, it was Dae-yang who came forward and decided to do the talking, the pain in her waist a light leash on her, reminding her to count her words and speak what is necessary.

She limped to Kimi and crouched before him, the pain in her legs spiking. She endured it with tight lips, her expression calm enough. Yes she was calm, but the sight of Kimi’s weak and tired expression made her eyebrows twitch in sympathy.

“Kimi?”

“I’m already sitting before you, so there’s no fucking need to call my name,” hr mumbled. His face was turned away from her as he shallowly whispered, “whatever you’re about to say better be worth the pain.”

Dae-yang sighed and arranged her words in her mind. Raaf, Zee and Tobe talked in the background, their voices hushed. Raja and Rin simply stood by the corner with blank stares. Qharis was busy scolding the twins, her voice sharp and reprimanding.

“...make that mistake again. Homer am I clear?” She looked at him with a hard expression.

Homer raised up his hands, his eyebrows raised in shock. “What? Why me? Clearly Orpheus is—”

“Don’t drag me into your bickering?” Orpheus droned, his pale blue eyes glazed over.

Qharis raised a brow. “Bickering? You were the one...”

The chattering in the background gave Dae-yang minimal confidence and she cleared her throat, ready to answer Kimi’s questions.

“Where do I start from?” she sighed tiredly and held her chin.

“You can start by telling me what your relationship is with those fucking monsters,” Kimi murmured, his thick brows pinched together in a deep frown.

Dae-yang rubbed at her neck. “I wouldn’t know what to say and how to say it until you tell me”—she looked into his dull eyes—“what your mother had told you, so that I can connect the dots.”

“Just names of cadavers.” He locked his jaw and his eyes twitched. Aurum Caedis.

Dae-yang sighed and slowly sat down in a cross-legged manner beside him. “Did she tell you the hierarchy of cadavers?” Kimi gave her a hard sideglance. She gulped and sighed, “I’ll take that as a no. Umm...” She rubbed at her chin.When she finally got it, she snapped her fingers. “Aha! Hunters?” She beamed at him.

Kimi raised a brow at her. “What?”

“Hunters. You asked me what my relationship is with the cadavers.” She placed a hand on her chest. “I hunt down rogue cadavers.”

Kimi looked up with a confused expression. “Hunters?”

She nodded and pointed at Raja. “He’s one too.” Raja replied with a slow wave. “And so are you.”

Kimi stiffened and his eyes went wide, confusing plastered on his face. He looked into Dae-yang’s serious eyes. “Me? What—”

“Your eyes.” She blinked, and he watched in shock as the brown colour of her eyes slowly morphed into grey. “They’re silver in colour.”

He frowned in confusion and said, “silver? My eyes aren’t—”

“That lighter, the one you used to burn the Level Os that attacked the ship, who gave you that?” Her eyes slowly faded into a dark blue, then back to its normal brown colour.