XXVII

Aurum tried to bite me? Kimi thought, his hand cupped around the area where Aurum had licked him.

“Kim—”

Aurum swallowed his words as his nose flared, the smell of blood tinging his senses. He wheezed and held his throat. Aurum hacked and leaned forward, cupping his hands over his gaping mouth and dry-vomited into them. The smell of fresh blood was grimly intoxicating to his sharp senses.

“Shit!” Caim quickly crouched and laid Aurum on his back when he started jerking violently. “Why would you try to drink blood when you know that this will always happen?!”

Kimi’s head shot up when Aurum started shrieking like he was in agony. He watched silently as Caim bit into his inner wrist and placed his hand against Aurum’s parted lips. Kimi gripped his neck as he watched blood roll down the corner of Aurum’s mouth. He shifted his gaze, avoiding the clear sight of fresh blood.

Drinking the blood slowly, Aurum watched the bulb in the ceiling, light tears gathering in the corner of his eyes. When he felt that he had drank enough blood, he turned his head to the the side. Caim’s blood dripped onto his cheek and he gritted his teeth.

“Lord Caedis you didn’t—”

“Clean it off!” Aurum hissed softly as he closed his eyes tightly, afraid of looking into Kimi’s eyes.

Caim gently shook his head, moving his wrist closer to Aurum’s lips. “But Lord Caedis you need to drink—”

“And I said that you should clean the fucking blood off! NOW!”

Kimi shook at the intensity of Aurum’s voice. Caim sighed in defeat and took his bleeding wrist away from Aurum’s face. He pulled a neatly folded handkerchief out of his pocket and used it to wipe the blood off Aurum’s face.

Opening his mouth to let out his clogged breath, Aurum slowly peeled his eyes open. He blinked away the little tears in his eyes and fixed his gaze on Kimi. His brows pinched together as he grinded his teeth, his eyes slowly morphing back into its normal silver.

“Kimi... I’m sorry,” he whispered as Caim helped him sit up.

Kimi swallowed stiffly and looked to the floor. He held his legs to his chest and leaned against the table that was beside him.

“I...” Aurum rushed to stand and Caim held his arm when he lost his footing. “I can stand up by myself.” He angrily tugged his arm out of Caim’s hold. He firmed his stance, but still walked to Kimi with disoriented steps.

Kimi froze the second Aurum shadowed him. He felt small and caged, his face pushing into his knees.

“Kimi?” Aurum flinched as Kimi shuffled away from him like he was a disease. “Kimi I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” He dropped to his knees and clasped his hands together, silently asking for mercy. “I don’t know what that had happened,” he said as pressed his face into his hands. “I don’t know what that had come over me. I’m really, really sorry.”

Kimi started rocking himself, his mind simply singing, I still feel fear! I still feel fear! I still feel fear!

Caim quietly observed Kimi and Aurum with his glazed over eyes. His gaze shifted from Kimi to Aurum, feeling pity for his master. He exhaled a small breath before he carefully whispered, “Kimi.”

Kimi flinched at the mention of his name. He tightened the hold that he had around his legs, his heart beating like a small talking drum.

“Lord Caedis didn’t mean to bite you.” He pointed at Aurum’s vibrating form and calmly said, “look at him. If a cadaver takes blood they go into a frenzy. But Lord Caedis isn’t like any other cadaver. He and blood are like sworn enemies. He struggles to live without a normal dosage of blood.”