XXXIV

Throughout the drive to his house, Kimi kept quiet, busying himself with searching through his soaked items. Ren kept his attention on the road as he drove, bobbing his head to the tune that played from his bright red headphone. When they got closer to the street, Ren pulled down his headphone and searched for a parking spot.

As soon as Kimi noticed his confused frown, he cleared his throat and pointed to the side of the road. “You can park it close to the pavement.”

Ren hummed in surprise, his brow arced. “Really? Isn’t that against the law?” he asked as he drove the car closer to the pavement.

“Well... no one really cares,” he said as Ren turned off the engine.

Ren scoffed, smirking lightly as he shook his head. “Come on.” He unlocked the doors and pulled his open.

“Um... where can I drop these?” Kimi said, raising his wet cloths.

“You should have left those in that taxi.” He puffed air out of his mouth and looked behind. “Uh...” He reached back, picked up a stray porcelain bag and handed it to Kimi. “Put them in these.”

Kimi quickly shoved the cloths into the bag. He pulled the door open and stepped out. Dull sunrays caressed the front yard of his little house. Seeing the neatly trimmed mini-lawn made him bite the corner of his bottom lip, remembering his mother.

“Well do you have a spare key or do I have to break the door?” Ren said monotonously as he walked to Kimi, his narrowed eyes on the door.

Kimi glared lightly at his face that was shadowed by his raised hood. “Even if there isn’t a freaking spare key I wouldn’t let you do that.”

Ren raised his middle finger at Kimi as he walked to the door and Kimi reciprocated the act, whispering a swear word under his breath. Kimi followed behind Ren with a stiff gait. When they got closer to the door, he shuffled past Ren and walked briskly towards a gnome that was by the door.

“Cool,” Ren said as he watched Kimi pick up the gnome and pull a key out of its mouth. “Aren’t you guys ever worried that someone will take the key and break into the house.”

“Only if they freaking know how to twist their tiny fingers,” Kimi mumbled as he unlocked the door.

Kimi pushed the door open and ushered Ren in with his hand. As he stepped into the house, it felt like he hadn’t seen the house in ages and sighed slowly. Kimi lifted a confused brow at the electronics that were still on, slowly walking through the short hallway to his room.

“Make yourself at home while I pack.”

Ren hummed, shoving his hands into his pockets. He inclined his head and studied the interior of the house as Kimi walked into his room. The hallway was filled with the sound of shuffling and humming electronics as Ren moved further into the house.

Ren studied the the naked hallway that had no decorations or any of that sort. It was just bare, yellow walls and a single yellow bulb that coated the hallway in warm light. He cocked his hip and ran his eyes up and down each wall. When he spotted a single item that was laying against the wall, he walled to it with wide strides, his curiosity piqued.

“What... the hell is this?” Ren muttered lightly, squatting to pick up the item. He gave the item a weird look, his eyebrows raised. “Is this a broom?” He studied it like it was an alien. It was an item of multiple, brown, thin sticks that was held together by a twisted rope.

Ren turned it around in his hands. He made a comical expression as he weighed it in his hands.

“Hmm...” Ren wanted to place the broom back were it had been resting against when he spotted a deep hole in the wall. He poked the hole with his finger and brought his hand to his face when he got a dusty feeling on his fingers. “What’s this?” he said softly, squinting at the sooty substance.