XXXIII

Kimi dashed through the hallway with loud footsteps, his strides wide. It’s all about death, he thought, desperately trying to wipe off his tears. I’m like a freaking magnet for death.

He ran to the large double doors at the end of the long hallway. Getting there, he glared at the men who flanked the doors with stoic expressions.

“Open it,” he hissed with teary eyes.

The one on the right pointed at the dining room. “Lord Caedis told us that noone is allowed to—”

“Let me out of this freaking dungeon!” he snapped, more tears rolling down his face.

They looked at each other and shook their heads.

“I’m afraid that we can’t do that,” the second one droned.

Kimi’s chest heaved as he glared at them, the sound of Silver approaching them behind him.

“Open the door,” Silver said, approaching them with a blank look.

“But—”

“I said open the door. Aurum told me to tell you that,” Silver said firmly, standing beside Kimi with fists beside him.

They flinched and rushed to pull the gigantic door open. With a burning desire to get very, very far away from the mansion, as soon as the doors were a good metres apart, Kimi flew out through the tiny space. He frowned at the large courtyard that greeted him. His breaths flew out of his parted lips as he wiped off the snot that was sticking to his face. The morning breeze petted his face as he rushed down the long steps.

“Kimmy!” Silver rushed after him and ran in front of him to stop him. He raised his hands as Kimi frowned at him. “I’m only here to help. But please don’t go away. Don’t leave here. Please.”

Kimi scoffed lightly and raised his head to the lightly grey sky. “Give me one reason I should stay here. To fraternize with Aurum?” He moved onto another step. “Get familiar with your new family?”

Silver shook his head. “No Kimi. I simply want to help you clear your mind.”

He raised his hands to the skies and said, “my mother has been kidnapped and nowhere to be seen and I’m here dining with cadavers. Never in my life had I ever freaking imagined that!”

“Kimmy...”

“It’s okay. I...” He waved his hand as he bent and sat on one of the large steps. “I just need to catch my breath.”

Silver watched silently as Kimi inhaled and exhaled slowly, his hands on his chest. Silver wrung his hands, keeping a pensive gaze on Kimi.

For a few minutes, Kimi sat on the large step, trying hard to catch his breath. When he finally steadied his breathing, he looked up to the sky that was filled with grey clouds.

“Dae-yang’s parents are dead,” he whispered, his voice hollow and weak.

Silver shook his head. “You don’t know that. It could have been her extended family.”

With a weak frown, Kimi grumbled, “how sure are you? Zero freaking percent?”

“I’m not sure. I simply said that not to calm you but to also calm myself.” He squatted and sat beside Kimi. They sat in silence for a while before Silver blew out a long, wispy breath. “You know when my parents had died I hadn’t known what to think or do or say.” His lips twitched into a weak smile before he mumbled, “I hadn’t even known whether to breathe or not. To either silence myself forever with grief or just kill myself.”