XXXV

As the hospital came into view, Kimi didn’t waste anything time and held onto the door’s handle. He pressed himself into the door, his eyes wide in countdown. It didn’t take up to a split second after the car finally stopped and the doors were unlocked and Kimi threw the door open. He instantly flew out of the car like a kite.

“Maybe Silver should stay close to him throughout your visit here,” Haruna said, her eyes on Kimi as he leaned forward, his hands on his knees.

Qharis nodded strongly, her eyes also on him. Illiad nodded, giving Silver a sad look. Silver pouted at him and stole a quick kiss from him before he stepped out of the car.

Kimi held a fist to his thudding chest, swallowing large, choking breaths. I thought I was going to die. I thought I was freaking going to die! He shut his eyes tightly and squeezed the material of his trouser in his fist. I still feel fear. I still feel fear. I still feel fear. He breathed slowly, trying to calm himself. Calm. Down Kimi Mikaelis. There’re not gonna bite.

Kimi opened his eyes and slowly breathed out. “Yeah... I’m fine.”

Silver gently placed a hand on his shoulder once he reached him. His fingers barely touched him and Kimi flinched out of his reach. With worry in his eyes, Silver brought his hand to his chest and curled his fingers into a loose fist. “I hope the ride didn’t make you lightheaded.”

Kimi swallowed, his gaze sliding to the small group of journalists that were barricading the entrance to one of the many lifts in the parking garage. “There’s no need to worry. I’m alright,” he mumbled in an inaudible tone.

Silver rigidly shrugged a shoulder, the other drooped. His fingers fiddled with the edges of his sleeves, his eyes on the grey walls of the building.

The Vdéllas came down and Haruna poked her head back into the car to give the chauffeur some orders. Qharis placed her attention on the little crowd of journalists that were gathered like stagnant water in front of one of the entrances. Illiad followed her eyes to the group and hummed deeply.

“Mum what’s with the journalists?” Qharis asked, walking to the boot that had been opened.

Haruna shook her head to show that she was equally clueless. She picked up one of the baskets, skillfully slinging the handles of her handbag over a shoulder. Qharis and Illiad carried the rest. Once the boot was cleared, Haruna softly closed it and they moved to the front of the car.

“Let’s go.” Haruna motioned at another entrance with her chin. “Don’t let them spot you. Hurry.”

They quickly and carefully rushed to the door. It was as if the journalists had an inbuilt magnet that got activated whenever people were around because they all perked their heads like pigeons towards them. At once, they raised their cameras and microphones, speeding to them. They were not even close to them yet they were already spewing questions.

“Quick! The lift. The fifth floor,” Haruna said hastily, quickening her pace.

The sound of their footsteps became louder, resounding throughout the parking garage. Kimi struggled to keep up and nearly tripped but Silver held his wrist and pulled him along.

“If only Uncle Aurum was here,” Qharis said, jamming her elbow into the lift’s button. She tapped her foot on the floor as the lift’s doors slowly slid open. “Enter.”