XLIV

With warm blood for gloves, Marshall stood, Kimi’s organ in his hand. He moved away from Kimi’s body, eyeing the organ with fascinated eyes.

“Shit,” Maria hissed, placing her nose into the crook of her elbow.

Mr. Marshall looked at her with dull eyes. “Is the claret affecting you?”

“Of course it is,” she replied harshly and Marshall shook his head with a small, amused smirk. Her eyes dropped to Kimi and her eyebrows twitched at the sight of his blood that was pooling beside him. “Since we have the heart,” she started, looking at Marshall as he walked back to his desk. “Why did you send that girl to kill that Mikher. Hadn’t I told you that she was adopted?”

“Ah, yes. That.” He placed the organ on his table and picked up the rag that was on it. “Well, I just wanted to test her loyalty. Her parents and siblings’ lives are in my hands,” he said as he cleaned his hands, his eyes on the ceiling.

Maria gritted her teeth. “But you’re not the leader and stop making decisions by yourself. And stop taking what we don’t need.”

“You mean the other organs? Those aren’t for me to eat alone. Those are for the leader and his family. Especially his cute little son.” He picked up the knife again and tossed the rag on the table.

“What are you doing?” she asked as she watched him walk back to Kimi’s body.

“I forgot the food,” he said, standing over the body.

Maria turned to fully look at him. Thunder sounded and she looked at the shut windows. “You better be quick. This rain is jumbling my sense of smell.”

“Duly... noted.” Marshall moved to stand where the blood wasn’t pooling on the floor. He crouched and began to draw invisible measurements in the air over Kimi’s body. “Should I make the cut a square or a—”

“HEY!”

Marshall looked up and Maria looked back. Maria flinched—her eyes growing wide—while Marshall only raised a brow as they saw a mad looking Silver by the door.

Silver’s eyes dropped to Kimi’s body and he gritted his teeth, his face red. “I have one question,” he said through his teeth, raising the pistol in his hand. “Who dared to kill my little cousin?”

Marshall tilted his head. “That will be m—”

Silver pulled the trigger and shot thrice through Marshall’s head. He dropped backwards, the knife in his hand slipping out of his hand. Silver growled angrily—even in death, Marshall still had the gut to sport a carefree smirk.

“Bastard,” he said under his breath, moving into the class. “Guys he’s here,” he called out and Orpheus, Haruna and Zee sped into the class.

“Oh my gosh,” Haruna gasped, rushing to him. She crouched by him, having no care for the blood seeping into her cloth. But she did when its smell started infesting her senses. She threw her elbow to her nose and groaned. “Claret.”

Orpheus looked at Maria. “What are you doing here?” he asked, raising a brow.

“Delivering a package,” she said and sped go the heart. She picked it up and made for the door. But Zee came in front of Silver and slapped her backwards with brute strength. Then Silver shot her in the thigh and silver flames appeared on the wound.

“You betrayer,” Zee hissed, moving closer to Maria.

Maria wiped blood from her chin, not caring that her leg was slowly getting consumed by fire. “I’m not any kind of betrayer. I’m just someone who knows what is what.” She cocked her head. “By the way, is your corpse lord awake? Was my present tasty?”